New 4th grade teacher

>

new4th2018

new4th2018

New 4th grade teacher
Old 06-30-2018, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I just accepted a 4th grade Math/Science position at a title 1 school. I have taught for 5 years but 4th grade is new to me. The school principal is open to ideas so I want to be prepared when the new school year starts. The entire 4th grade team will be new. How do you set up your classroom, implement procedures, and fun projects you do during the year? I have taught 3rd grade, K-3, and 6-8th.

SteelerFan

Welcome to 4th Grade!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also taught several grade levels before joining a 4th grade team. I aught 7th, K, and 3rd.
From your experience, I'd say that I approach my class with the expectations of 6th graders with the understanding that I am helping them learn routines to get there. My style is to foster independence with whole group routines and as individuals pick them up, my students have myself and classmates as models.
Routine goes a long way in helping 4th graders develop self-control so that learning can take place. I generally use a Daily 5 (3) model every day and fit in my must do instruction with a lot of learning.
Enjoy your year and PM me anytime! I love 4th grade.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Welcome to 4th!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've taught Fourth for 20 some years now. It's the best grade level

You must be departmentalizing since you're teaching math and science. We have 2 teams of teachers who share students. Its super important to have expectations and rules the same. We use a check mark behavior system. Our behavior clipboard travels with our classes wherever they go (specials music, gym, etc.,,) too.
I Know my teaching partner , who teaches math and science, starts with math. Students fill in planners for homework as soon as they get there. Then she reviews hw. They also have online practice before the days lesson. We have Chromebooks for all.

We spend the first 2 weeks practicing all our procedures and rules, while teaching content. It's slow at the beginning but worth while. We teach them how to pack up their materials for switching classes, how to carry their Chrome's, etc.

We also constantly discuss students and what's working and not. We've changed many procedures through the years.especially to most effectively switch without wasting time.
Best of luck to you. Keep posting back with questions and share how it's going
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote