Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tell me about Facebook Marketplace

>

MissTrace

Tell me about Facebook Marketplace
Old 03-01-2020, 10:24 AM

I want to sell some items that are just sitting around the house, but I don't want to mess with shipping if possible. I'd like to try Facebook Marketplace, but I'm not sure where to begin! I'm mostly looking to sell some clothes, shoes, and bags/purses for $5 - $20.

Usually I just take things to Good Will, but I have an event at the end of the month that I want some guilt free money to spend.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Facebook Marketplace
Old 03-01-2020, 11:02 AM

I have sold some things on Marketplace and bought quite a few items. Itís quite easy. Unless Iím buying or selling a furniture item, I only meet people in a public place ó a police station parking lot is ideal. And I always bring someone with me if I can. I also readily admit that I look at their Facebook page long before I agree to meet them to find out as much as I can about them and look for any red flags.

If I canít bring someone with me, I make sure to give as much information as possible to a family member (a screenshot of the Marketplace post, the personís name on FaceBook, and any information such as cell number if they provided it and make of vehicleówhich they usually share so we can find each other in the public place.) I also arrive early before the other person and find someone at the public place who would be able to see the transaction take place, and I let them know I am meeting a stranger for a Marketplace transaction in case they notice anything concerning. If itís furniture and I have to go to someoneís home to see it, I always bring a guy with me. And if someone is coming to my home for a furniture item, I put it in the garage and only allow them into the garage and, again, I make sure I have an adult male with me.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Porch pick up
Old 03-01-2020, 11:19 AM

For smaller, non-furniture, items I usually do porch pick up. I don't put the item out until the person let's me know they are on their way. My facebook marketplace messages go through facebook messenger so that they never have my cell number. I leave detailed instructions where to leave the money when they pick up an item. If they have to come in for things like furniture, I make sure the item is right by the front door so that they don't have to tour my home. As the previous poster said I always have an adult male with me in those cases.
Some police stations now have dedicated parking spots for buying/selling items online right in front of their building.

Last edited by momteachsis; 03-01-2020 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: added info
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 03-01-2020, 11:54 AM

I have sold a lot on FB and always do porch pickup, even for furniture. I have never had a problem and have always had them leave the money. In my mind, if they take the item and leave no money they clearly need it more than I do.

I have bought as well and done both porch pickup and met somewhere. No issues.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Indiana Jen

Old 03-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Iíve sold more than bought, and everything Iíve sold has been porch pickup. Iím not selling anything high priced enough to take the time to meet you. But if you want to pick up whatever, Iím down with that. And itís kinda exciting to find money under my doormat.

Funny story. When we sold our house almost a year ago, we went to get the last of our things. When I picked up the front door mat, there was $15 there I completely forgot about. It was there a few months. Oops! Took me a while to remember what the last thing I sold was.

Indiana Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 03-01-2020, 01:35 PM

I also use it or our local FB yard sale page to sell things. Usually items under $25.

Like others I do porch pick up and leave the money, or I meet in my neighborhood school parking lot. Never an issue safety wise, just sometimes I have no shows, which is why I prefer porch pickup when I know the day they are coming.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 03-01-2020, 03:21 PM

Thank you all! I am listing several things today with porch pick up. Hoping to move some things out and make some spending cash.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote