Help

BusyBoard

Organizational Question

>

SassyTeach

Organizational Question
Old 07-05-2020, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For the first time in my long career, I'm not going to be self-contained. I am moving to 5th grade and pumped that I'll be teaching 2 sections each of math, science, and social studies! YEEHA!

So, for those of you that have multiple classes that are the same subject, how do you organize everything and keep it all straight? I'm trying to wrap my brain around how to organize papers and keep everything arranged so I'm not losing stuff.

Any advice?

Thank you!!

SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TX_teacher07

I use
Old 07-05-2020, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Colored baskets for each class and subject. They are usually labeled with the homeroom teacherís name and the subject. I also get duct tape in the same color as the baskets and the students place a piece of the duct tape on the spine of their composition book.
TX_teacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-05-2020, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have letter trays for each class, so I can just put things in the right spot. I have them for kids to turn in work, pick up work, and for me for stuff to grade and stuff to hand out.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Old 07-05-2020, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am at a grades 4-12 school. Elementary is also taught in periods like the older kids. I have trays for each period.
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Organizing for multiple classes.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I color-code everything. I taught middle-school French and usually had multiple levels, so my 7th-grade French 1As were blue, for example, my 8th-grade French 1Bs were green, my Accelerated French 1s were yellow, and my 6th grade Exploratory Frenchies were orange. (In your case, you would probably do Math, Science, and Social Studies each a different color.)

Everything related to each level was color-coded. For my 1As, for example, I got two different shades of blue pocket folders. One was for collected work / assessments to be graded; the other was for graded work to be handed back. That way I could carry things back and forth from school to home but still keep them organized. Their turn-in trays had laminated blue French 1A labels. Their calendar (the dry-erase one I updated each day with what we did in class ) had blue border around it. Their Absentee folder with handouts for kids to get when they returned was blue. I had a blue spiral notebook for any 1A-relevant notes I needed to make for myself —disciplinary, tweaks needed for an assignment, personal reminders, etc. My side whiteboard was divided into 4 sections — one for each level— and I had color-coded laminated signs in each section (Today’s Objective; Upcoming Tests / Quizzes ; Assignments Due Today; Today’s HW.) So all the signs in the 1As section were blue. You get the idea....

Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Numbers
Old 07-05-2020, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I assigned numbers alphabetically. Students handed papers in numerical order. If they did not have it done they signed a form saying why with their number on it. When they handed it in I stapled the late one to the assignment. It was hard for them to say they handed It in and I lost it.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 07-06-2020, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My plan is to slightly alter my old system to meet my.new needs. I plan on having 2 crates - one for morning section and one for afternoon section. Within each crate will be five hanging folders - Monday through Friday. Within each hanging folder will be files for each content area - reading, writing, grammar, social studies, and bell ringer - color coded. Behind those ive always kept two other hanging folders - to grade and graded folders.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-06-2020, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have separate turn-in trays for each class. We only have 2 homerooms at our grade level (6th grade), so organizing is not a huge challenge as far as keeping things separate. When things are operating "as usual," our homeroom students store their materials in their homeroom classrooms and just take what they need to the other teacher's class when it is time to change classes. When I have handouts, I just make enough for both classes at once. I don't bother trying to keep them separate until they turn in work.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Thanks!!
Old 07-10-2020, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just realized that I never thanked you guys!! So sorry about the delay!

Thanks for all the ideas! They were really helpful, and "if" we go back to school in person, I have a better idea of what I need to do.

Thank you!!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote