Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Bathroom Redo Help

>

FancyFish

Bathroom Redo Help
Old 07-21-2020, 04:56 AM

My master bathroom has a relatively small counter with two cabinet doors underneath, no drawers. There is a lot if stuff under there in baskets, etc. I currently have a three door mirrored medicine cabinet over the sink. Itís not looking very nice anymore and Iíd like to change it, but a new one is a lot more than I want to spend. Iím considering taking the medicine cabinet down and replacing it with a nice mirror. If I do that, Iím not sure what to do with the stuff inside. I can definitely declutter but I think there will still be quite a few things. Any suggestions for bathroom storage that donít look messy? Either under the cabinet, shelves, or countertop. THis is what I have now (excuse the messy photo, I had to take a cabinet door down and havenít had a chance to put it back up yet)

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 07-21-2020, 05:22 AM

I have 3 ideas. First I did the same thing. We now have a new vanity and took down the medicine cabinet and replaced it with a beautiful mirror. We had stuff like you do in the med cabinet, so here are some ideas.

1. You can have the medicine cabinet installed in another part of the bathroom like on the side of the vanity (if the bathroom door were opened, you wouldn't see the medicine cabinet cause it would be behind it.)That's one thing we did and it looks great.
2. You can have a stand alone cabinet from Target put above the toilet bowl
https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=...tedValue=p3oju
3. You can get cabinets that go over the toilet bowl but have legs that extend from the floor also from Bed bath bodyworks or target.. Looks really nice too.

I did # 1 and #2 and it looks very natural and really nice.. Actually get compliments
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Bathroom organizing help
Old 07-21-2020, 05:23 AM

The things that are currently behind the mirror — could any of them go under the sink if there were room or do you definitively want them up?

If you could attach a picture showing what the under-the-sink cabinet looks like now, I may be able to give you some suggestions for organizing it under there (if needed) and / or making better use of the space under there.

Also, you have great unused vertical space on the wall to the left of the sink. I don’t know what might be there out of view in the picture, but you could perhaps put up a spice rack there that would hold all your little bottles and things nicely. It would probably be cheaper than a new medicine cabinet.

Lastly, stores like Home Goods sell lots of little standing or rolling corner shelf units or small units with drawers intended for bathrooms, if you have room for one in your bathroom.

Edited to Add: I’m in the early stages of launching my own business as a professional organizer, so this is right up my alley!
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 07-21-2020, 05:37 AM

Good ideas so far. When I redecorated my master bathroom I hung a decorative shelf over the toilet (that is where I had wall space) that I called my ďlotions and potions shelf.Ē I kept the bottles I used everyday on it, moisturizer, antiperspirant, hair gel,etc.
read2day is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-21-2020, 05:59 AM

Could you take down the cabinet,install a wood framed mirror and set up floating shelves on the left wall? Perhaps little wicker baskets could line up on the shelves and store your little things.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-21-2020, 06:06 AM

Oh, I really like the idea of a spice rack or floating shelves! Most things in the cabinet could go under the sink. I’d just want to keep out my all the time things, like cleanser, moisturizer, etc.

teachnkids

Old 07-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
.Could you take down the cabinet,install a wood framed mirror and set up floating shelves on the left wall? Perhaps little wicker baskets could line up on the shelves and store your little things.
This what I would do
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 07-21-2020, 04:50 PM

The floating shelves with baskets on them sounds like a great idea!
sisterwoman is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-21-2020, 06:26 PM

Thanks everyone! I found a mirror and some shelves that are actually a basket in themselves. A bit hard to explain but Iíll post a follow up pic when I get it all up.

chipmunky

When I was designing our new house
Old 07-22-2020, 06:08 AM

I went to this site all the time. My architect, my builder and most of the contractors also told me to use that site.
Houzz.com

You can find photos of bathrooms like yours and see tons of ways they add storage, you can go to a part of the site and ask questions and get answers from people who have the same situation and even find that professional decorators, designers etc. will give you suggestions and advice. Sometimes the best was when they advised me what not to do and why.

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

bathroom
Old 07-22-2020, 06:13 AM

It sounds like you don't want to renovate and I get that. I recently had both of my bathrooms redone. My new vanity (in my tiny master bathroom) has a shelf inside. So there are two levels. My hubby and I each have a basket where we keep our daily items. My hairdryer, flat iron, etc. are stored on the top shelf. The vanity also has one of those little tilting drawers. They are hard to find. It is perfect for toothpaste and other little things. My new mirrored medicine cabinet is huge! It is recessed into the wall. I got it from Lowe's. Not too expensive - about $120. It holds so much stuff and is mirrored on the inside too. I don't like stuff all over the counters or in view. The only thing on my counter is a bottle of soap.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-22-2020, 06:33 AM

Readerleader, you got it! The bathroom is nice and functional, just lacking storage in the vanity area. The bathroom is actually quite large, so I’m not sure why that vanity didn’t get a bit more space . I’m not interested in a renovation, nor is it in my budget. Chipmonkey, that’s a great site! Thank you.

Last edited by FancyFish; 07-22-2020 at 04:14 PM..

peanut21

I think
Old 07-22-2020, 12:18 PM

getting rid of the medicine cabinet will go a long way to update the look of the bathroom.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote