ESL/LEP

Beginning of the year

>

SportingKC

Beginning of the year
Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

What is your protocol for the beginning of the year?

Do you assess all students again (and new ones for the first time)?

Do you begin services right away, or wait a week or two?

Do you have any forms that you send to parents or classroom teachers (like Can Do Statements)?

I am trying to standardize the way that I do things in all buildings, since at this point it's really each administrator and I sitting down and talking at the beginning of the year about how things will work....

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

Usually
Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I start right off on the first day, since I normally have a self-contained ELL class. (middle school - one class period - 50 min.) This year I will be doing consultation, but plan to start off on the first day.

As a language arts department, we give a diagnostic assessment to all students. I use the information gathered from that to start off with, tweaking as needed. I already know my 8th graders, so my focus here is really the new 7th graders or incoming students. Anytime a new student comes in I give a short skills assessment.

I also use the previous year's ACCESS scores and have found a nice tool to share scores/information with the students' teachers. I started using it last year and found it very helpful. Here's the link to where I found it. It was a free download.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/P...emplate-236855

I insert each student's name and their overall ACCESS score. Because the can do discriptors are shortened to fit on the form, this year I plan to give a full copy of the discriptors to the teachers so they have a better idea where the students have performed. I also remind teachers that the scores are from January, so we can expect some growth since then.
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do pull out for students in intermediate grades.
I do not start services for 2-3 weeks, depending on the number of move-ins I have to screen. I screen only the new students using the WAPT. During this time, I also do the paperwork (parent service info, ACCESS scores to home, teacher, permanent file, permission slips, etc.). I fill out our student information pages, attach them to hi lighted copies of the Can-Do descriptors (I'm required to distribute them), and check in with teachers so that we're on the same page. I also have a collection of materials in file folders that I give any new certified teacher, like a survival kit for teaching ELLs.

At my other building, I have actual class periods. I start right away. I screen new students during my prep or study hall, and the P adds the ones who qualify to my roster.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote