Help

ESL/LEP

Dependency

>

MissESL

Dependency
Old 08-24-2013, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you break some of those bad habits ELLs pick up? In particular, I have a girl who is quite fluent, very articulate, writes well, & is highly independent...with me. In her regular classroom, she asks nearby friends to translate for her. I know it is because she is in a larger group, and doesn't yet trust herself to use the knowledge I know she has. How can I help her get past that habit??

Thanks in advance for the ideas!!

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Can you
Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

be in the classroom with her for a few minutes throughout the day? You might be able to help her generalize her skills from "in your presence" to "in the classroom."

Make sure her classroom teacher has seen what she produces with you, so there are reasonable expectations set in all situations. If the classroom teacher drops in during your ELL lessons (perhaps during a special or if given small bits of time by a certified someone in the school covering the class), it might help generalize your mutual student's skills to other settings as well.

When I did speech and language therapy this approached helped to generalize correct articulation to the classroom.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote