Help

ESL/LEP

WIDA Topics, Mainstream Classroom, and Curriculum

>

MrsElementary

WIDA Topics, Mainstream Classroom, and Curriculum
Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are a WIDA Consortium state and I need some guidance! I have been teaching ESL for 3 years, heading into my 4th. I just completed my ESL Endorsement (YAY!) and am finally getting the hang of this ball game. We have no ESL curriculum, so every year, I've had to develop all lessons using whatever I have and what I get from conversations with teachers. I really want to start next year off with a bang.

If you use WIDA, how do you choose what topics to start with in each grade? Do you match it to the curriculum of the grade level or do you find that some topics flow better at different parts of the year? Kindergarten seems to be the easiest to plan ahead for - they're transitioning, so I'm going to do a lot of social and instructional topics. Other grade levels are a little more challenging.

Any ideas or input? Thanks!!

MrsElementary is offline   Reply With Quote

RaceFan18

curriculum
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations on completing your endorsement!
Is your state a Common Core State? My state is currently working toward aligning the WIDA Standards to the Common Core Standards. As ESL teachers we plan our lessons based on each grade level's curriculum. I like to concentrate on Science and Social Studies because it seems that Reading and Math receive the most attention in the regular classroom in the elementary grades. I only get to see my students 2 or 3 times a week for only about 40 minutes each time, so it is difficult to get around to everything in the curriculum. I choose topics that I think students will need extra help with and concentrate on vocabulary! In planning for next year and as I learn more about the common core standards, I'm going to try and develop some integrated units so that I can cover more than one content area at a time and hopefully make the lessons more relevant.
My advice to you would be to plan your lessons around the grade level curriculum. That would be very helpful for your students and a good support for them. We have a great website in our district that shows the pacing guides for the curriculum. I use that to stay ahead of the curriculum in order to help my students build a foundation so that they are prepared when they study these topics in the regular classroom. If you don't have that resource, maybe you can ask the teachers in your school about the curriculum for the upcoming year.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsElementary

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is what I usually do...plan around the curriculum, but I would like to front load vocabulary. Can you copy the link to your district website that you use to front load?? I would love to have that resource, even just to refer to when doing my own planning. We are Common Core, and thankfully, the standards are so much easier to adapt to ELP standards. I also like the Amplified version of the ELD standards.

As far as integrating units, you could easily teach science and social studies from a reading platform and cover reading topics as well. That is how I usually do it because of the nonfiction focus. You can also use science and social studies to practice close reading. Math is a little tougher to integrate for me. I didn't teach much math this year, and I certainly saw how it affected my students.

Thanks for your input!
MrsElementary is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Similar
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like to focus on teaching English - reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills - through academic content of Science and SS, because those classes are where they receive the least support...even though these classes have the most complex material. I pick and choose from grade level textbooks, Reading A-Z, ACCESS Science/American History/World History, and Google (lol). I make my own lessons, too -- there is not really anything here already.
If you use the CCSS, use their level - i.e. if you know they can read at a second grade level - start there with CCSS. Kids must walk before they can run, so jumping into 5th grade materials for a fifth grade student when they don't have the foundation to do it is unkind.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

CAtchr

high ELL population + WIDA+CCSS
Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love seeing what everyone is doing and if there are resources i would love to hare. My district is also a WIDA and CCSS school with no developed curriculum. Additionally we are a extremely high population almost (85%) ELL population, I Found that New jersey teachers have a great resource where they have developed units and relate it to wida levels and stadards as well as CCSS does anyone else have anything like this?, or any assessments they use to moniter students and their progress? trying to figure out how to relate it all and would love any further resources.

CAtchr is offline   Reply With Quote