ESL/LEP

How to Advise Gen Ed Teachers -

>

MissESL

How to Advise Gen Ed Teachers -
Old 02-13-2014, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

On how to grade ELL students?

I have students of all levels and teachers who aren't sure how to grade them.
I usually advise teachers to look at the WiDA CanDo Descriptors and form assignments based on what they can expect of students at their given level.

At this point, I have a little girl who has been in the United States for one month. She is currently receiving 3 Fs. It's not that there is anything amiss with her - she is well-educated in her first language but is brand new to English...and obviously unable to do grade level work in English.

I'd like to suggest more fitting ways to grade ELLs. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How does your school grade? Mine--and many others, from what I read here--uses standards-based grading. And as unfair as it seems (and is!), that doesn't leave a whole lot of wiggle room for special circumstances: Either the child can do ______, or s/he can't. In that case I'd ask the teacher to grade honestly, then maybe in the comments section write something to the effect of, "Maria is struggling to understand grade-level work because she is still learning English. However, I've already seen growth in her English skills, and I have no doubt that if she keeps working as hard as she has been, she will be back on grade level quickly."

If you're not using standards-based grading, I'd find out how the teacher is differentiating, and ask that grades be based on that differentiated work, again with a comment explaining the situation.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

daisyflower

adding a note
Old 02-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like grav_def's suggestion. In the past, I've seen grading done either of those ways.
daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

While I have always liked the concept
Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our district doesn't use standards based report cards. It is A-F based on assignment completion - most of my kids fail bc they can't do the homework without significant support, which isn't available from their parents!

I was wondering if you give teachers any guidelines on how to assess ELLs - in terms if modifying or measuring progress??
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Old 04-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have standards based grading but we are able to leave areas blank for special education/ ELL students. So maybe the rest of the class is assessed on 3 indicators but the ELL student is just working on 1 indicator.

We also include an * to denote that they get additional support.

Maybe advise them on giving homework support to these students or assigning alternate homework that they can do without support?

kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote