Help

ESL/LEP

ELL Tips/Tricks?!

>

KPaal2

ELL Tips/Tricks?!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are the most effective evidence based practices you have used with your ESL students? Do you find it is better to do read alouds with them? How do you spice them up so that the read alouds do not become mundane?

In what ways to do check for understanding?

What are your favorite resources for educating ELLs?

What ways do you use to address their vocabulary queries?

How do you address new literacies and technologies?

Feel free to answer any of these, please!

KPaal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 05-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have time to answer all the questions now, but check out this link:
http://www.lausd.net/Main_EL/pdf/Glad_Resource_Book.pdf
Google or check pinterest for other GLAD strategy ideas. A good thing is that it doesn't cost money outside of markers and chart paper!

Also, I love using Whole Brain Teaching with ESL because it allows them to hear and speak a lot. http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=P...54pq4HOLCRls9B
http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=P...DEnr_d7EKpaaam
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

joy2001

Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Incorporating daily read alouds, writing time when students write freely without prompts (writer's workshop) & guided reading are effective practice for all ESL levels. I love teaching thematic units to newcomers- such as School, Fall, Time, etc. Calendar time (similar to primary teachers routines) is also really awesome for newcomers. I also LOVE songs and the students love that too.
Regarding read alouds, picture books are best until the ESL students have had a chance to build up their vocabulary. Read alouds should not ramble on & on- especially for newcomers- it will seem like Charlie Brown's teacher.
My favorite resource for educating ESL students.... other ESL teachers!
joy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
KPaal

KPaal

Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your input. I agree read-alouds should not be dragged on...that is one way to turn children off to them!
KPaal

KPaal

Old 06-09-2014, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Those are great resources, thank you ann girl. I will share them with my colleagues!

chris/4/pa

first assess
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

great question! First, I assess their ability to hear sounds in English by giving them a basic spelling inventory. This will inform my spelling lists for them. For example, native Spanish speakers have difficulty with many of the vowel sounds in English.
In addition to a listening center, I use the following:
On line site: Starfall has great basic activities that help with vocabulary and pronunciation.
REading A to Z has books in both English and Spanish, if the students are reading on grade level in their home language. Research shows that bilingual instruction is a strong predictor of success. I also use books from our first grade class, the lowest level, to start the year off because they have lots of visuals and repitition to give support. Also made some cards (from "Words Their Way") where the students match cards with verbs on them to pictures of the verbs. Have also done this for single syllable words with short vowel sounds. After I teach them the words, they play that game (whose name escapes me!) where the cards are placed face down and they turn 2 over, looking for matches.
Atlas PEncil company also has good card games for rhyming words, synonyms, antonyms, etc. Of course, I use cloze passages and paragraph frames.
AGain, I find materials on-line in their home language to teach content and grammar. All vocabulary lessons are bilingual and we analyze the similarities and differences between the words in English and Spanish. We look for patterns. I also try to say simple sentences in Spanish, and let them correct me. This is to show them that EVERYONE struggles as they learn an unfamiliar language.
Enjoy!
chris/4/pa is offline   Reply With Quote