Help

ESL/LEP

Social Media and ESL Students

>

wittchick

Social Media and ESL Students
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious how you, as teachers, encourage the use of social media and online production and sharing centres (like youtube or fan fiction websites) with your ELL students? Do you use them at all? Do you think they have a place in the classroom, in an ESL setting? Can these be valuable platforms for students to explore their own production of meaning in English?

wittchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_Again

Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes! Use all the technology you can get your hands on! Plus, it is beneficial for your ELLs. First of all, allowing students to use technology in their learning is a way for you to provide multiple entry points into your curriculum. Secondly, it is hands-on, and very engaging.
This is how I used to incorporate technology in my old days.
I taught mini-lesson using PPP and projector. Now you can do so using Smart Board. I would, sometimes, use Elmo as well and ask students to use that too during share out portion of the lesson. I usually used thematic units to teach four language skills. One, notably, was so successful that the P decided to write about it on school website.
I had freshmen, all of whom were ELLs. One was a beginner, a few - intermediates and the rest - advanced. However, all of them needed extra support in writing, which was my main focus.
That particular time I taught unit on Past Tense. I used Celin Dion's song to teach past tense verbs and their formation. Students listened to the song and answered a few questions (listening comprehension). Then they listened to her interview talking about her childhood (again, lots of past tense verbs!) Then students went online to find 5 more details about her life that were not mentioned during the interview. Finally, students were asked to either write a 3-4 paragraph about her life using research they have done; write lyrics to the song about their own life using past tense verbs; create a picture book (include 4 pictures from their childhood and write captions to each - a simple sentence with a past tense verb); and shoot a 2-3 min video in which they teach others to use and form past tense verbs. The unit took me 2 weeks. Students were very engaged and learned the past tense verbs in the context. They did not even notice they were learning the verbs!
Teach_Again is offline   Reply With Quote