Help

ESL/LEP

New ESL Teacher

>

jmh52079

New ESL Teacher
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all! My name is Jen, and I was recently hired as the new ESL teacher at a Philadelphia charter school. While I do have some teaching experience, this will be my first official ESL assignment, and I have quite a task ahead of me. I am basically the first ESL teacher this school has had, so there is no curriculum in place. I have free reign to write it as I see fit, and I need some major direction here. Does anyone have any solid resources in this area? Also, the school services children in grades K-12, so I will need to plan for a wide age range. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

jmh52079 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

jmh
Old 08-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You might want to do some research into SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol), GLAD (guided language acquisition and something [development?]), and National Geographic which has some great ELL supports.
http://www.ngsp.com/tabid/558/default.aspx

There is also a little search window for ProTeacher which often gets overlooked up in the top right hand corner. Entering various search terms yields years of shared information from teachers.

I hope you have a great year. What an adventure!
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

jmh52079

Much appreciated!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much for those resources - it seems like they will be very helpful! I also have some planned PD coming up, so I'm hoping to get some more ideas from the participants there as well. Have a great year!
jmh52079 is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

ELL resources
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Also, be sure to look at the WIDA website, if you haven't already, which is K-12. Penn. is a WIDA member and there are lots of links and resources through the site. I agree, SIOP is very helpful in terms of focusing lessons on various language features. The other resource we use extensively is the Fountas and Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention kits. They are quite good for children who are a grade or two behind their peers (less helpful for older newcomer students, who we see a lot). Here's one more resource you may want to consult for high interest/low level readers (from Remedia Publications): http://www.rempub.com/reading/high-interest-reading

Good luck!
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

eugine1

New ESL teacher
Old 09-09-2014, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi,
One resource that I use is www.readinga-z.com it is a great site with a lot of resources.

eugine1 is offline   Reply With Quote

wisechoice

ESL Teacher
Old 02-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

National Geographic INSIDE is a pretty good curriculum for ESL, as well as INSIDE the USA. You could always use picture cards, word ladders, crossword puzzles, online reading apps, plenty of pictures and visuals, and more.
wisechoice is offline   Reply With Quote