Help

ESL/LEP

Little English

>

bubbleepink

Little English
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am tutoring some siblings age 6-14. They have been working with their step mother to learn some English, but they are only learning words at this time. The filter wants them to learn phrases and full sentences. Does this even make sense? Don't they have to learn the words for things first and then add create the sentence later? I see them for the first time tonight. Is there an assessment I should do?

I teach grade 3 full time an have never taught ELL before. Any tips or resources would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
BP

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

RaceFan18

anything
Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Starting with words would be OK, but phrases are very helpful too! Anything they can learn will be helpful. Phrases that will help them get through the day would be best to start with. They need to know things like asking to go to the bathroom and making sure they can get their lunch at school.

Remember that pictures are very helpful for ELLs. If you can find pictures to go along with any words, phrases, etc. that you are teaching, that would be great. (Google images, magazine pictures, photographs, etc.) Also, having the words/phrases in their native language and in English seems to help.

There are many good resources online. Google translate can help you with the first language. mes-english, bogglesworldesl, colorincolorado (this site has a list of words/phrases that should be taught initially), eslcafe, eslgold, youtube (has lots of great esl songs & videos), brainpopesl (this one costs $, but you could ask the family if they want it)

Google esl and the topic you want, and you will find many good resources.
RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote