ESL/LEP

ESL in California Public Schools

>

Elise331

ESL in California Public Schools
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I am soon to be finishing up my MA in TESOL K-12 in New York City. I plan to work here for another year or so but my husband is considering a job offer in San Diego, California which would require us to uproot in the next year or sooner.

I am very curious, as we are weighing our options now, as to what teaching in California's public schools is like? Also, are ESL teaching opportunities abundant or not in San Diego's public schools? NYC has a nice salary step-scale system as well as great benefits and a strong teacher's union. What is teaching like in Cali and how easy/difficult is it to obtain an ESL public school (preferably elementary) job there?

Also, I am not quite sure if they would accept all of my credentials and how I would go about converting my NY state license to CA state, and how easy/difficult THAT process would be.

Many thanks for any advice! I really appreciate it!

Elise331 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

this might help
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.sandi.net/page/1353

http://www.sandi.net/page/2325

http://www.cde.ca.gov/search/searchr...0&q=ELD%20laws read #1

http://www.cde.ca.gov/pd/bt/gc/
link to credentials and job search
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise331

Broomrider, thank you!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much! All very helpful info. I just don't know what to expect regarding the system in CA and how competitive it may be. Thanks again!
Elise331 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

You might
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

restate your questions in two separate posts on the BusyBoard. It gets a lot more traffic and may attract the attention of CA teachers. I haven't taught in Calif. in years and years.

The folks who run this site don't like to have identical posts in multiple boards, and you may get more specific answers if you ask separately about San Diego hiring and CA credentialing.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariposa2010

I think it'd be easy
Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm in northern California and there's a good need for ESL teachers up here, and if there's a need up here I can almost guarantee you that the need is even greater in southern Cali, especially in San Diego since it is on the border and there are many English Learners there. I'd recommend you go to www.edjoin.org to see what jobs are currently available there.

Mariposa2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

doright

Old 09-29-2013, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I live in San Diego county and jobs have been really hard to come by for years. It has improved a bit recently. I have never heard of a ESL teacher in this area. Everyone has to be certified to teach ESL. My school just let a sped teacher go because she was not certified to teach ESL and was given time to be certified.

It is quite competitive hear so good luck.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote

sipstea

Teaching in San Diego
Old 11-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach in San Diego. Very few schools in the Unified district have actual ESL classes. Everyone is certified to teach ESL. It is known as a CLAD. I work at a site that has newcomer classes and ESL classes but that is because of a high recent immigrant population. As to finding a job in San Diego- Good Luck! Most districts are laying off teachers and raising class sizes. It is very hard to find a job. Sorry for the bad news.
sipstea is offline   Reply With Quote