Help

ESL/LEP

Spelling?

>

SportingKC

Spelling?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an ELL student who is a non-English speaker. She doesn't want to be different from the rest of her class and wants to do spelling homework and tests like her friends. (She's a second grader).

I was thinking of starting her with sight words. I'd plan on translating the words into the native language, as well as have her spell the words in English.

Am I on the right track? Any other suggestions?

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

RaceFan18

Yes or...
Old 09-16-2013, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Start with the basic vocabulary that she needs. For example, color words, number words, classroom supplies, lunch vocabulary, etc. I use mes-english.com to make custom spelling worksheets. They're actually called handwriting worksheets, but they work for spelling. You can print a picture to illustrate the word, and you could even add the native language on one line and English on the other for each word.
We had a newcomer at one of my schools last year. Her Language Arts teacher did those type of lists with her, and they really helped her vocabulary wise as well as making her feel like she was doing the same things as the other students!
Hope this helps!

Last edited by RaceFan18; 09-16-2013 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: add more
RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote