Help

ESL/LEP

Expectations

>

RaceFan18

Expectations
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As an ESL teacher, I work with many kids who are below grade level. I think this has caused me to lower my expectations. I think that instead of pulling them up, I meet them where they are and work there. I didn't mean for this to happen, but in the last few weeks I realized that it has! I want to change this and expect more of the kids and help them achieve more! When I look over the common core curriculum, I know they are expected to do much more than I have ever asked of them in ESL class! I want to see all my kids, even those below grade level, as capable achievers and design my lesson plans accordingly!!
Any one else experience this and/or have ideas for how to change??
Thanks!

RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

CAtchr

higher expectations
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work with a large population of ELL students (not ESL because they are coming to me with almost no language) and they too are a lot lower that what they should be. I find that I start with a high expectation and task and make them aware of the end product then after starting there we will back track a little and lower expectations knowing that we will work our way back up that way they do not get to frustrated but also know they are lower and need to work harder.

I must say some days this works great and others ( also depenedent on the students attitudes) it doesnt work at all.

good luck and I hope this helps give you at least one idea to try...
CAtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

lovmyterch

Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What ages do you work with? I work with K-8 students - my non-newcomers in the middle school grades go to reading intervention but read many grade levels below target. I'm assuming your students are similar. It's really hard to maintain high expectations when a book called "Sleepy Cat Time" is "just right" for a 12 y/o.

What I keep in mind when I plan for these older kids is that they're frustrated in the classroom largely because the work that is cognitively challenging and developmentally appropriate is not linguistically accessible, and vice versa.

It takes forever, but I choose texts that would be intellectually and thematically stimulating for children of their age, pick out a handful of words that are important to understanding the piece and will come up in other texts they encounter, then rewrite the rest of the text so it's closer to their reading level. Then, I take the important words and write ELL-friendly definitions and start the lesson with an explanation of those words. I write my own questions and include a mix of higher and lower order thinking skills.

I'm still refining my style, but it sure beats "Sleepy Cat Time."
lovmyterch is offline   Reply With Quote

wisechoice

Reasonable Expectations
Old 12-30-2014, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What's wrong with having reasonable expectations? If you are aware of yourself and your students, and they are making progress, then you are doing your duty. For this upcoming semester, I have some goals: 1. clear, thoughtful sentences (I am going to work on sentence variety, different sentence starters, conjunctions, etc.) 2. Writing a paper in paragraphs (using writing frames, paragraph frames, and other tools to help them remember the structure of English writing) and 3. on grade level reading (using our campus based online reading program). If they can accomplish this, I will be proud!
wisechoice is offline   Reply With Quote