Help

ESL/LEP

Languages

>

daisyflower

Languages
Old 02-22-2014, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How many languages are represented in your ESL groups and in your school district? I'm curious because I'm currently only working with Spanish speaking/English Learning students. In the past, I've worked with students with a wide variety of home languages. It's a different environment and different expectations. Please share your experiences.

daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

scarlettsweb

Old 02-22-2014, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I actually went to Elementary - High School in the district I am now a first year teacher in. I was an ESL student myself. Our school district is one of the most diverse. Virtually every culture in the modern world is represented and more than 80 languages and dialects are spoken.
scarlettsweb is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 02-22-2014, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think my school districts has around 100 languages represented. Off the top of my head, I have students who speak:

Vietnamese, Spanish (yes, in that order), Nepali, Dutch, Kirundi, Tigrinya (these last two are spoken in Burundi and Eritrea, respectively), an indigenous Guatemalan language whose name I can never remember , Arabic, Japanese, Turkish. Pretty sure I'm forgetting some. Oh, and my school has a Russian family and a Serbian (I think? Around there somewhere...) family, but all of those kids tested out of ESL before I got there.

Parent communication can be interesting, as you can imagine...
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

daisyflower

Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am so glad to hear that!
Do you still get asked if you know how to speak Spanish? Or the comment, "Oh you must know Spanish then." I'm honestly sick of that question/comment. I loved being able to say, well, I have students from India, Russia, The Ukraine, China, Africa, and other places, so speaking Spanish would really be of no benefit.

scarlettsweb

Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was actually born in India, but I get asked if I speak Spanish and I get spoken to in Spanish all the time. I guess people assume I am Hispanic for some reason. The area I live/work in has an overwhelming population of Spanish speakers so although we have students from all cultures, being able to speak Spanish would definitely be a benefit. I spoke it really well in high school, but unfortunately never used it much after that.

scarlettsweb is offline   Reply With Quote

daisyflower

Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's really great that you were in the ESL program and now you are a teacher in the same district.

grav_def

Old 02-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Do you still get asked if you know how to speak Spanish? Or the comment, "Oh you must know Spanish then." I'm honestly sick of that question/comment. I loved being able to say, well, I have students from India, Russia, The Ukraine, China, Africa, and other places, so speaking Spanish would really be of no benefit.
That drives me nuts! Mostly people ask me, "Oh, what's your language?" and I'm like, "Um, English. I teach them English. You need to know how to speak English to do that."

I do actually speak some Spanish (and significantly more Italian--part of my family is from Italy--and French, which are useless at school), but I think that's such a weird assumption for people to make.

MissESL

Old 02-24-2014, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I started out with 6 students, all Spanish speaking. I now have 35 students that speak 6 different languages!
Spanish
French
Wolof
Korean
Chinese
Burmese

I've only been teaching for a short time so this growth is quite exponential!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

^ Wolof! That's one of the ones I forgot!

daisyflower

Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Had to laugh at your response, grav_def, "Umm, English..." GREAT! I also love that you have had new students speaking other languages, MissESL

ReeseTeacher

Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My students are all Hmong. We are about 95% Hmong, about 4% Karenni and a few students who are native English speakers. We are a Hmong charter school though. So that explains why the vast majority of our students are Hmong!

I don't know how to speak much Hmong though. Like, I can say Hello and count to 5 and that's it!
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

vanya1238

Old 06-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Do you still get asked if you know how to speak Spanish? Or the comment, "Oh you must know Spanish then."
I get that all the time. And I do speak Spanish but that's not the point! So I try to explain that you don't need to know people's native language to teach them English, and then gently remind the person who asked that we have a lot of newcomers to our country besides Hispanic people. It's probably annoying of me, but I figure if they ask a silly question, then they'd better submit to a little teachable moment.
vanya1238 is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

In my class
Old 08-23-2014, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a majority of Spanish speakers, but I also have one Arabic speaker and one Urdu speaker.

I don't know what the district makeup is. I would guess 90%+ Spanish, Vietnamese next, and a small variety of other languages.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

abeteach

Many languages
Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I teach in a suburban school district in the Houston area. I have roughly 33 different languages at my school and there are 76 different languages spoken in my school district.
abeteach is offline   Reply With Quote

globalgirl

Three-Four mostly
Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The kids in our school (a private South American school) speak three to four languages:
Spanish primarily, then Korean or Mandarin/Taiwanese as a first language with Spanish as a second, and English. We do have a family from Iceland, so they make for a fifth language.
globalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote