Help

ESL/LEP

Ell Paras

>

elepen

Ell Paras
Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have any of you ever worked with Ell paras? What was it like, any problems, etc.??

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

ELL para teachers
Old 06-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you mean paraprofessionals who are themselves second language learners? Or all paras in an ELL setting?

I have worked in an ELL classroom where I had an assistant for many years, who was from Germany. She was a wonderful person, but there were some difficulties. Her philosophy was stricter than mine, and if the children misbehaved I used a "natural consequences" plan. She just could not learn to adjust to it. She would talk at the kids over and over about their bad behaviors, and lots of "why did you do that?" which wasn't helpful for these little children. They were mostly from cultures other than hers. There was some problem with accent and spelling, but mostly a different philosophy about children memorizing spelling, etc... We worked out most of it, but I was ready for a change after several years. Still, I miss her personalty and intelligence. It just wasn't a great match on educational philosophy
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

joy2001

ELL paras
Old 06-08-2014, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have worked with two fabulous ELL paras, one from Thailand and one from Burma. It is really nice to have to have someone who can work with kids one-on-one, especially as more newcomers come through out the year. I have been lucky I think.
One thing I would suggest is having your para observe for about a week. I did this with my 2nd para and I think it was a good thing. I gave her a notebook and told her she could take notes or write down questions she had that we could talk about later. I had her mostly observe the first week, but also gave her some things to help with so she wasn't completely bored.
Another thing that is a little time consuming, but worth the effort, is planning for the para. I try to give her things to work on with the students that make it easy for me, but are also meaningful for the kids. Do you have a lot of newcomers too? Creative Ideas has really great workbooks for newcomers that are nice if you have a para. to work through them with. It is layed out with various units such as school & family- teaching & practicing a certain amount of essential vocabulary words.
It is also really nice to have the kids read to her one-on-one and talk to her about the book. I gave her some example questions that work for any book. She practiced math facts with small groups in a classroom where the teacher needed help & there were many ELL students. Eventually, I gave her a little time to plan everyday and she planned for one of her groups.
I hope you have a great experience with you para and the good outweighs the bad. Best of luck.
joy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote