Help

Carnation Room

Creative organization and planning tips

>

abcjay

Creative organization and planning tips
Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi...I am new to PT and very excited after seeing everything it has to offer. I have been searching the site now for hours I have taught first and second grade for 5 years. I am eager to set up my classroom and try new things. There were a few things I was looking for ideas on in terms of organization. Would love to hear ideas that other teachers have found successful...here are some of the topics/ideas i am looking for...

1. creative uses of materials when setting up your classroom..any inexpensive materials??

2. paper organization and filing

3. ideas for setting up different areas in the classroom...for example writing center

4. lesson plan templates you have found helpful

i know this is a lot...any response on these is much appreciated...i look forward to hearing some new ideas!!

abcjay is offline   Reply With Quote

LisaC1st

New to Pro Teacher
Old 07-24-2007, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome! Be sure to check out the archives to answer your questions.Do you have any computers in your room? www.ikeepbookmarks.com is a great way to organize different websites that you want to use in your teaching. Have you taught a 1/2 combination for 5 years? I'll have that combo next year.

Last edited by LisaC1st; 07-24-2007 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: I thought this was the technology board, but I see that technology has been moved. My mistake!
LisaC1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex

Organization
Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ABCJay what grade do you teach?
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

abcjay

thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

thanks for the input...that website sounds great...the kids are so young it has been hard for me to keep all the sites i want them to visit organized...will definately check it out. i have taught 1/2 for four years...prior to that i taught 3/4. let me know if you have any questions about the multi age!!
abcjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

inexpensive materials
Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I bought some colorful mactac, white with blue, green, red and yellow strips in a grid pattern. I used it to cover several boxes (from the office, held envelopes) cans (the short pringle containers and international coffee tins, an old rolling stand, lids from copier paper and a box I cut down to hold files

Now I had matching containers for my open shelf; boxes to hold stickers, cans to hold pencils and erasers, a stand to put the cans on, trays big enough to hold agendas and placemats, and a box with a file for each student's work. The shelf looked great, and so clean and organized.

I had a lot of file boxes given to me, the kind with attached lids. They held the materials for my centers perfectly but looked ugly in my primary classroom. I covered one side with colorful bulletin board paper, used border to cover the edge of the lid, and used purchased desk tags as labels. Now they look great.

Files; one for each story we do, so no matter when I find materials that go with that story I know where to put it. One for each month for materials specific to that month, especially celebrations. One for each math and phonics skill....addition, subtraction, telling time, short vowels, digraphs, long vowels, etc. and of course one for each child.

A binder full of paper for taking notes at meetings, dividers to mark off which meeting it is - staff meeting, Learning Communities, grade group,etc. This way I only have to grab one binder.on the way to the meeting. Any notes or minutes from the meetings are three hole punched and put in the right section so I can find them later.

One large desk pad style calendar, free from the Teachers Store - I write everything on it - meetings, special events, parent appointments, kids birthdays. With it all in one place I'm less likely to forget.

Last fall I found a plastic hanging folder among the school supplies. It was meant for hanging inside a locker. It had 6 letter sized pockets, each a different color, that each hung below the other. I labeled one for each day of the week, and one for "extra". As I made my weekly lesson plan up, I put the masters I was going to copy for that day into the right pocket and hung it on a coathook by my desk. Everything was right there when I needed it. Also meant for a locker, a magnetic pen/pencil holder that is high up on the chalkboard where the kids can't reach it. Then I always have pens, pencils, marking pens and sharpies handy.

Blank stickers (from Smilemakers catalogue) for writing notes to certain parents - stick it to the child's shirt and they are more likely to see it.

Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

shorty

Old 07-26-2007, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Bertie: Thanks for sharing such great ideas!
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote

bcarrington

Writing Center Management Idea
Old 07-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I found this idea in a resource book and I am using it this coming year.
I will put up a bulletin board that has the different stages of writing on colored construction paper: Prewriting, Rough Draft, Editing, Revising, Publishing, etc (Whatever titles you use). The kids will move their names from one colored paper to another so I can see what stage each child is in for their assigned writing. I will also make them responsible for filing their work in the proper place.
bcarrington is offline   Reply With Quote

beachaudrey25

I love the ideas!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

bcarrington: I did that this year and it worked so well! I was able to quickly see where each student was before starting writing, and I knew who needed encouragement/assistance to move on to the next phase!

Bertie: Great Ideas!!
beachaudrey25 is offline   Reply With Quote