Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Bathroom Tile: Advice Needed

>

teacherman

Bathroom Tile: Advice Needed
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM

I am looking for input on what to do with my bathroom.

Our bathroom hasn't been remodeled in 30+ years by my guestimation. It is covered in plastic tile. We have a bath/shower combo. Over the course of the last year or so, the tiles have started coming loose. Three along the tub line, a couple near the faucet handles, and one higher up. All the loose tiles are on the same wall.

We want to renovate the bathroom, but the money isn't there for that right now. It is the only bathroom in the house, so we can't stop using the shower. I want to know what I can do to protect the integrity of the wall until we can afford to renovate. My chief concern is mold development.

When the tiles fall off the substance used to secure the tiles to the wall remains. When I peel that back, I can see the board underneath. I don't see much discoloration, but there is some in places, which I guess could indicate mold. The wall is not soggy or crumbling, so it seems to be holding up. The only exception is where the wall meets the tub. There it appears that the wall is starting to crumble. I don't know if the wall is cement board or green board. My guess is cement board, but I don't know enough about these things to be sure. The color of the board is grey and the texture is rough.

teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Tiles aren't bad to replace. Just replace the ones that have come loose.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM

Just replace what you need to do for now. I replaced my bathroom for under $5,000. You might want to see about taking a small loan so you won't have to place wall boards and such in the long run. We had to do that to my bathroom tile. I used ceramic.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote