Help

Second Grade

Bucket Filling

>

teacherman

Bucket Filling
Old 07-30-2015, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use Bucket Fillers and bucket filling as part of their classroom routine and management? I want to try it out this year, bought the book, the whole 9 yards. I am curious how others have introduced it and worked it into their classroom.

Thanks

teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

teacherman's
Old 07-30-2015, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It was like a fad in my school. We used it for 1-2 years.
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

loo

agree with needmyjob
Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We did it school wide at my school several years ago. I think only one or two classes are still using Bucket Fillers. I still read the book, but that's about all I do.
loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 07-30-2015, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use it at our school...somewhat. We all have the book and read it monthly to our kids, talk about being a bucket filler, and occassionally do "bucket filling" activities, when told to. BUt none of us truly incorporate it.

I got so tired of rereading the Bucket book that I bought "How Full is Your Bucket" and "Bucket Filling A-Z" so I could switch it up a little.

It sure was all the rage a couple years ago, there were so many pinterest pins about it.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

daisy789

Love it!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is not used school wide in my building but I have found great success with it for many years. In my class, I teach about bucket filling when explaining the concept of an Emotional Bank Account to students, which is part of the 7 Habits. We brainstorm actions that can fill and dip buckets. We also have a bucket in the classroom to deposit or withdraw pennies any time someone fills or dips a bucket. Once it is full we count the money and vote on a charity to donate the money too. My students feel such a sense of pride because they can help organizations that they utilize in the community such as food banks or the library.

We also have a stuffed animal that goes home with students on the weekend to "teach" their families about bucket filling. I send home a journal and a copy of the book for them to use at home. I believe I found that idea on the bucket filling book website.

Its a wonderful concept and teaches students how to treat others. I have noticed such a huge difference in my students over the years and have received positive feedback from other staff members in the building.

daisy789 is offline   Reply With Quote

motbteach

Old 07-31-2015, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great resources at bucketfillers101.com. I love how the kids get their OWN bucket filled when they fill someone else's.
motbteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KKay

Empty bucket...LOL!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had a parent one year get quite upset because in my newsletter (after explaining the IMAGINARY bucket, how it gets filled...) I said that buckets get emptier when students tease others or are teased by others etc. She was so upset that I would EMPTY their buckets if they got picked on. NOT KIDDING!!! I sent the book home with her child and didn't hear another thing, so maybe she then understood that it was IMAGINARY and that I don't walk around emptying buckets all day!!

Anyway, in my building we all do it a little. We talk about it, do a few mini-lessons based on it, but that's about it. I usually read one of the books when I see a lot of bucket dipping happening. At the beginning of the week I give each student the name of a classmate. At the end of the week they have to write that person a short letter telling them what terrific bucket filling things they saw them do during the week. It wasn't always easy. Sometimes the letter said "You are a bucket filler because you play with your friends." At least this way they know someone besides the teacher is noticing their behaviors!
KKay is offline   Reply With Quote