Help

Kindergarten

Kindergarten Summer School

>

SunShining

Kindergarten Summer School
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out last week that I will be teaching kindergarten summer school this July! I've been working as an assistant in the Title I program for the past school year, but am also a certificated teacher (did my student teaching in full day K) and was offered a summer school position.

Has anyone taught kindergarten summer school before? Or even K teachers who have some advice Just a few things I've been trying to brainstorm lately...

-What am I going to have the students do right when they come in on the first day of school? Can I start with a coloring page even though it isn't "academic?" I want something they can do independently right away so I can greet students as they come in and talk to parents if they have questions
-Do I send home a weekly (mini) newsletter?
-Any good summertime read alouds for Ks?
- Do I allow time for "fun" things? And if so, how much? (fun projects, brain break time etc. They'll be in school for 3 hours and will have a short recess and a snack time)
- Is it okay to do assessments on students the first couple days? (I have their DRA levels but it doesn't help because all of them are AA/A. I want to know where students are at on letter names/sounds, and if they are able to decode. Probably a question better suited for orientation, but I'm curious if other summer teachers have done this?)
-Any other tips or things I should consider?

Some details on what I know so far:
- Are exiting K (not incoming - thought this was good to note)
- 12 students (6 are ELL)
- All of them are below grade level and received Title I services last year (6 of the 12 were at my school and I worked with them)
- School will be 4 weeks, Monday-Thursday, for 3 hours/day
- Primary focus of summer school is literacy
- I will have my own classroom, which is a half day K room, but am not sure yet how bare/decorated it will be during summer school.

Thank you! So excited to start

SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That sounds like a fun summer job!

I definitely think it's okay to do something simple when they come in the first day, but since they are exiting K it could be more than just coloring and could double as a quick assessment for you. I'd have them draw a self portrait and write a sentence or two of what they have done this summer or their favorite (fill in the blank). And I do think it would be valuable to do a few simple assessments the first couple of days. Have them do some alphabet review or work work while you are assessing. I don't think you need to do everything, but see where they are with sounds, decoding, blending, rhyming (always hard for my ELLs).

Personally I wouldn't bother with a weekly letter. Maybe an intro letter to hand out the first day explaining what you will be doing and how the parents can help at home, and a final one at the end going over what you did and how they can continue to help.

As for "fun" activities, in my opinion there is always room for a little fun! I would probably do some sort of small group rotations every day where I read with one group, another works on word work or writing, and the other does something "fun" (which may just be making words out of playdough or something like that - not necessarily just free play).

Have fun!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

lily74

me too!!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also teaching Kindergarten summer school, with a similar schedule to yours. However, I have been a third and first grade teacher for the past 3 years, although I did teach preschool for 2 years before that!!

I was thinking of also doing a fun/educational activity when they first arrive, maybe a sentence/fill in the words with a picture to color. Then I was going to do a calendar activity each day to remind them of days of the week, month, season, weather etc..review numbers.

I like the idea of doing a rotation, not sure what kinds of activities yet!!

I was also going to use some of the books from the readinga-z website for students to help with cvc words and sight words etc.

Any other suggestions???
Thanks
lily74 is offline   Reply With Quote