Help

The VENT

testing = fair????

>

lily74

testing = fair????
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So the powers that be want state testing and test results affect my evaluations and my pay etc. How is this fair???????
I have one student not on his ADHD meds while we are taking state tests, who refused point blank to answer any questions after the first page of the test booklet.

Then I have other students who finish in less than half the time, and refuse to go back and review their answers...when I know they almost definitely did not get 100% of their answers correct!

It is extremely frustrating. Thankfully this year my evals etc will not be affected, but I'm sure the same thing will happen with other students in the future.

lily74 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think its fair for the teachers or the students. I would like to have politicians evaluated the same way we are evaluated....all citizens have enough money to live in a middle class or above environment, there are not substance abuses, no physical, mental and emotional abuses, no wars, etc. After all we are paying a lot of taxes to help end this. WE must have balanced budgets without pork. You get the picture. Let the politicians do their jobs effectively for all citizens and then start telling teachers how to teach once the social ills are gone from our nation. Lets starting paying what they are worth.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

angelteacher

oh, Klarabelle, I love it!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That would change the way many things are done in this world! It always amazes me how many feel they are all knowing and should tell everyone else what is possible without ever having any real working knowledge of the situation. Ughhhhhhhhh......
angelteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Test scores
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am thankful that our pay is not based on evals or test scores. Every year I have a couple of students who do nothing, no matter how many times I conference with parents nothing changes. I also have a Principal who thinks I am an "Ineffective teacher" (yet on my state test scores last year 80% scored proficient or advanced, and my math benchmark scores were higher than the other 2nd grade teachers).

I think Klarabelle has it right!
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our pay will be that way in another year. This is called the "practice year" because they are going to show us what it would look like then versus the way it is now. I like that, because it shows me what I need to aim for. Nonetheless, with only ELL students to my name, it scares the living daylights out of me! I see myself as a vagabond teacher in the future...one year t every job! It is literally in my nightmares!

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Miss ELL
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know how you feel. Before I retired, I had predominantly ELLs in my class, but of course they had to be at the same E.O.Y. level as every other student in the district. Didn't matter if they came in not knowing a word of English.
I wouldn't worry too much, though. Who else are they going to put into those classrooms? TFA recruits with 6 weeks of prep? Recent teacher ed grads? Regular ed teachers without ELL experience?
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote
reader15

reader15

me tooo
Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's not fair! If parents took responsibility, and the kids also, then it might be fair. I'm in the same boat as you. Luckily, our test results ore only a third of a combined score though.