Help

The VENT

Ready for spring break...feeling bad about how I reacted

>

Daphne333

Ready for spring break...feeling bad about how I reacted
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today we were taking the Unit assessment in reading. One of the questions was poorly written and just frankly a stupid question. I explained the question over and over again without giving the answer away. I was frustrated with the question and having to repeat myself. And the fact that if they had listened to my explanation I practically gave them the answer. One of my students who is lower but not a horrible reader, just can't focus if her life depended on it, brought me her test with the most ridiculous answer. I explained the question again and sent her back. Then she brought something else up to me that didn't even come close to answering the question.
She wasn't finished along with several other kids, so I kept them from specials. Which meant I didn't get a bathroom break. These kids also had the written portion to get finished (we started last Thursday).
The above mentioned student started crying. I should have had compassion, but instead I told her she doesn't have time to cry she's got too much work to get finished. I said it out of frustration because she always messes around and then does a poor job on her work because she has wasted so much time. I should have acknowledged her frustration but instead I added to it.
I hate this time of year. Its all about tests and such a time crunch. I feel horrible about letting my own frustration show through.

Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is why I hate testing too. It doesn't tell much and stresses students unnecessarily. I would just mention to the kids on Monday that you are sorry if you hurt anyone's feelings on Friday. But, you had your mind on something and you didn't mean to snap.

I wish the country would boycott these stupid, meaningless tests. When will we differentiate our testing???
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 03-09-2013, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know...maybe I'll get flamed for this, but if the student truly did waste time before rushing to put something on paper, I think your response was appropriate. I think that kids today have learned that they can rush through things, cry, and get their way. I'm not sure I'd apologize. It seems like you are teaching them that they have to put their best effort forward or there are consequences -and crying won't eliminate those consequences. I think that is an appropriate lesson.

I have several students who have been skipping after school music lessons that are required for a special class they are in. Yes, they are young and it is probably on their parents that they forget, but our music teacher has made them start skipping recess to make up the lessons. Some of my kids were whining about it to me. I just told them that they agreed to go to the after school lessons, we send a schedule and I remind them of their times. If they are skipping or being forgetful -accidentally on purpose - I don't feel bad for them. When you agree to do something, you must do it. It is a valuable lesson that many of my students won't learn at home. I think it is the same with your test taking effort issue. Our job is to teach them to use their best effort. Sometimes I think we try to use too much compassion and kids learn that they can manipulate the system to get what they want.

I flat out told a boy the other day that I was really frustrated with him. I said, "I'm not mad at you because you don't understand how to do this problem, I'm mad because every time I try to explain it to the class you refuse to listen. When I came over here to explain it to you, you only halfway listened and put your head down. When you act like you don't care or want to learn it makes me very frustrated." This boy has been playing the "I don't understand" game all year. Yet, he never puts fort any effort towards understanding, no matter how many interventions we have provided. He is in the process of being tested, but his answer is to put his head down and tune everything out. That drives me insane.

Then again, maybe I'm just in a foul mood because my sweet, innocent, 3rd graders have discovered cuss words this week and are using them like it is their job! Truthfully, I haven't and I don't plan to show much compassion with that.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

timespent

Truman'sMom
Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No flame from me! I agree with your post. Well said!
timespent is offline   Reply With Quote

gunther922

Totally agree with Truman'sMom!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Kids are becoming increasingly lazy about school. They are not held accountable and for the most part could care less. I am beyond frustrated with half my class because of exactly what you are dealing with and I am DONE. This is what I told them last week. I am coming down hard on them and cracking the whip because I'm so sick and fed up with it all. Hang tough.

gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelteacher

Love your response, Truman's Mom!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Very well written and oh, so true!
angelteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kster

klarabelle
Old 03-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

klarabelle...LOVE the differentiated testing.
kster is offline   Reply With Quote

lily74

klarabelle
Old 03-09-2013, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree. If we differentiate in the classroom during a regular day, then why don't we differentiate the tests too? Otherwise why bother differentiating every day??
lily74 is offline   Reply With Quote