Help

ARCHIVE

activities for helping them learn sight words

>

Carolyn

activities for helping them learn sight words
Old 11-21-2009, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been given a group of children who have not yet mastered the basic sight words for first grade. Other than making up sentences and reading simple repetitive books with sight words, what other ideas do you suggest?

Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvfirst

Old 11-21-2009, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the students study 20 words at a time. Once they master the first 20 words, they get an ice cream scoop on their ice cream cone. (Paper of course!) I have a bulletin board with all the cones and scoops. It's a bit of a competition. The students love it!
In my district we have 120 sight words in first grade (the first 40 are actually kinder words).

As a teacher, I can quickly see who is stuck on a certain color and pull those kiddos daily to review the words with them. I also use my students that have already mastered ALL the words to be "teacher helpers." They help kids one on one.
iluvfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

teachforest

sight words
Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a boy who is repeating 1st grade in my room. He did not even know the first 40 kinder words, he only knew 12 if them. He gets NO help at home. He is very frustrated because he wants to learn. Through involving the social worker and mentioning educational neglect I finally got his mother in for a meeting. I gave her the web site www.spellingcity.com and showed her how to enter the words. He left on Friday and came back Monday knowing them all. That was two weeks ago I just retested hime and he does know them. I have given her 20 more and hope for the same results. It is a great site, the kids love it!
teachforest is offline   Reply With Quote

1Cor.4:21

Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a really low group of students who came into first knowing between 3 and 6 sight words. I give them three new words a week (the rest of the class gets 5). They work on them daily in a variety of ways... using magnetic letters, stamps, clay, crayons, websites, etc... I also review the words with them every day after guided reading. As a class, we jump, stomp, clap, swim, dance the words together.
1Cor.4:21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

thanks!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I apreciate the input from all of you. I like the spelling city Web site.

summertime

Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How about concentration with the sight words on index cards?
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote

Bozmom

what about an older student as mentor?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have had children in the past with no support at home and have asked a 4th or 5th grader that gets to school early to come on in to the classroom and act as the "big sister" or "brother" and have the student read their guided reading book to them. This older student could play sight word games with them.
I do easy bingo games, write them on dry erase boards, rebuild with magnetic letters
Bozmom is offline   Reply With Quote

pnewman51

Fun Activities
Old 11-21-2009, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We introduce 340 words per year [10 per week] through many fun activities to build our vocabulary recognition and reading speed. All words are introduced using a smart board to provide illustrations for children to interpret the meaning of the words visually. After the introduction ... my students create their own picture representation of the words. One word each week includes a tier 2 enrichment using Merriam-Websters Children's online thesaurs.

We practice our new vocabulary each day through a variety of activities including powerpoints created for the week/quarter. My students are able to read the first quarter 70 words in one powerpoint at a rate of 1 word per second. Sometimes, I ask my students to jump and read.

We also practice using a black light with flashcards made using fluorescent markers. My class loves daily practice with our black light. We also have fun with the words through word shape practice as well as word finds created using the templates provided by abcteach.
pnewman51 is offline   Reply With Quote

carroll

sight words
Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like to play games with the sight words, like around the world and sight word bingo. The kids love this and they learn the words.
carroll is offline   Reply With Quote

SMF111

Games
Old 11-22-2009, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here are some games I use:

-Phooey-write sight words on popsicle sticks and write the word "phooey" on a few of the sticks. Put them all in a cup. Students take turns pulling a stick. If they can read the word, they keep the stick. If they draw "phooey," they say "phooey" and put all their sticks back in the cup.

-High frequency Word Slap Jacks. Make a set of index cards with various high frequency words printed on them. Give the students a special word to look for. They slap that word when it's turned over.

-Bingo (I put my county's high frequency words on powerpoint slides and set it up to automatically advance the slides. They can either just read the words as they appear on screen or use it as the "calling cards" for BINGO

This isn't a game, but I've found it to be effective. I write 5 high frequency words on the desks of my low readers who need some extra practice. Either a "buddy reader" or myself ask them to read the words multiple times a day.

SMF111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks! All of you have great ideas! I am a resource teacher (ESL), but I am going to suggest some of these activities for the classroom teachers. I like the idea of putting high frequency words on the desks and reading hem several times a day. The games sound good, also.

Our little group made up sentences today and I put them up on poster paper: "Mrs. A. told us to read carefully," said Jose. "Mrs. D. told us to do our homework," said Maria. We practiced the word said repeatedly in the writing, and then they read it back to me.

If you go to the kindergarten board, they have some sight word songs. I am going to use those songs tomorrow!

Eyedunno22

sight word line up
Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our 1st grade teachers got permission to write on the tile floor with permanent marker. It wears off after a while or else gets stripped off during the summer. The children stand on a word when lining up to leave the room. They must read the word to me on the way out. We also have a word on the wall to high five and read. There is one in the room to high five on the way out and one in the hall to high five on the way in. You can change this as frequently as needed. I change the ones on the floor as they wear off! My kids line up in ABC order so they are on a new word every day. I found out the hard way that unless you do something like this they hurry to the one or two words they know. Hope it helps!
Eyedunno22 is offline   Reply With Quote

klim

reading
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The BEST researched based way to get better at sight words is to read books that are a good fit and reread and reread them. REading A-z has some high frequency words books. I also use the lower level books and reread them frequently. This is so much more beneficial than flashcards 1 viewing of the word. REading a repetitive book- se veral viewings of that word I also send home the reading a-z books for rereadings at home. One of the other 2nd gr. teachers I work with does this, but also uses RAZ kids which is awesome.
klim is offline   Reply With Quote

SingleTree

Sightword rings
Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Each student in my class receives a sight word ring the first week of school. The words are taken directly from my reading series. I usually start out with 15 words. The words are color coded with a set A and set B of each color. I give a sightword test every two weeks.After each test another set of words are added to the ring. I have volunteer parents who come in to help with the test. Sometimes if I have a student who is struggling with the words I will ask his/her mom to come help with the test. This way she gains an insight as to how others are doing with the words. The students like getting a different color as we add more words to the ring. All the words remain on the ring and the students are tested each time on all the words. This way the students are given plenty of time with the words.This works really well with fluency and comprehension skills.I have them carry the words in their reading folders for practice at home and we also use them in class. I have them pair up as study buddies, or they see how many words they can read before a timer goes off. The important thing is to be consistant with the testing and adding new words. It does pay off in the end!
SingleTree is offline   Reply With Quote

letunh

I found this..
Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I found this website here on PT and i have used the games in my classroom. The boys and girls love them.. they even play during our party for a purpose.

http://kellyskindergarten.com/Games/...es_to_make.htm
letunh is offline   Reply With Quote

laceyl

games
Old 12-01-2009, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I found this website;
www.theschoolbell.com

My kids love the game PIG
laceyl is offline   Reply With Quote