Help

First Grade

1st Grade SRA Imagine It/Daily 5

>

RMathis1st

1st Grade SRA Imagine It/Daily 5
Old 11-28-2009, 11:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else teach the SRA Imagine It for 1st grade? Our district just adopted the series this year. I really like the program, but find it very difficult to get all the "parts" taught in one day....especially writing. I am also having trouble fitting in Workshop. In the afternoon I have about 20 minutes to teach SS, Sci., or Health. Then the last 30 minutes is for Rdg. NBI (Needs Based Instruction). 5 students receive remedial reading that supplements the SRA program from a resource teacher. Would this count as Workshop? The rest of the students are reading AR books, working on the computer, etc. I don't feel like I am using this 50 minute block very efficiently. Any suggestions on using the SRA program, incorporating centers, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I read on one post about The Daily 5. Could someone explain how it works and if it is really better than using centers?

RMathis1st is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Yes
Old 11-29-2009, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

check into the Daily 5. It is literacy based--not centers at all. The components are Read to Self, Read to Someone, Word Work, Work on Writing, and Listen to Reading.

I use the Daily 5 with my students who are not pulled out for Title 1 Reading. In this manner I can work with small groups while the others are choosing meaningful activities. Since the pull out time is 30 minutes each day, I ask the kids to choose one activity during this time. I usually start with a small mini-lesson or read aloud so that it is about 20 minutes of choice time.

Check out the Peony Room here for more info on the Daily 5.

I do use a basal since it is required in my district. However, I use a Reading and Writing Workshop approach and use the basal as a shared read. I do agree with you that it is hard to fit everything in. My WW is the one that usually gets short changed. I have to spend more time on phonics and word work since my class is somewhat low.

Last edited by liketeaching1; 11-29-2009 at 06:42 AM..
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

carroll

Daily 5
Old 11-29-2009, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

check out the daily 5 in the peony room. Also there is a book that describes the whole program. I modify it for my needs.
carroll is offline   Reply With Quote

anniebanannie

I use Imagine It and Daily 5
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First grade is very rigorous in Imagine It and it is extremely difficult to fit it all in. I do my green band and red band in the morning for an hour and a half. Then, my kids who leave for reading interventions (2) leave for a 1/2 hour while the rest of my class does workshop. I do the daily 5 during the 1 hour workshop time. Daily 5 is not a program, but it is the framework you will use for your workshop time. Daily 5 of the 5 choices the kids make during workshop time, but each day, they only choose 3, since I will have 3, 20 min rounds. So there are 5 choices, but they will only choose 3 each day. The two kids who leave for interventions will just do read to self when they return, until the chimes ring for the last round. I do my intervention groups, and the cafe individual conferences at this time. CAFE is how you teach the comprehension strategies, which I incorporate during my morning reading time. I teach the blue band, latter in the day but we do a diffent writing. We do more of a writers workshop instead of the writing projects in Imagine It. Definately go to the Peony room for additional advice. Get the book, read it and begin to train your kiddos during workshop time. It is the best and most amazing thing I have ever done. You can start it at any tiime of the school year.
anniebanannie is offline   Reply With Quote

RMathis1st

Old 11-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks everyone!! You shared some great ideas.

RMathis1st is offline   Reply With Quote
dee dee deer

dee dee deer

sraimagineit or zoophonics
Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district is going to choose either SRA Imagine It or Zoophonics. I already bought Zoophonics with my own money and prefer it. Is there anyone who has used both or one of them who can give me feed back?