Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Update on my sister

>

MayCee

Update on my sister
Old 12-29-2009, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As some of you may remember my 22 year old sis had a stroke in October. They thought there also might be a hole in her heart but the first doctor said there was nothing there. Well a long story short my parents had her get a second opinion. There was something there. Here is all the information that will bring everyone up to date on her condition.
Well for those of you that I haven't updated lately, here it is....

On November 20th Megan went to have more testing done.# They were suppose to do another echocardiogram with bubble therapy.# When we got there the doctor had decided to change the testing some and had ordered a trans-cranial test with bubble therapy as well as the ultra sound of her carotid arteries.# We were suppose to get results sometime the week after Thanksgiving.# The doctor's office called back on Monday following the tests.# The ultra sound of her arteries was normal.# The trans-cranial test was abnormal and indicative of a signigicant hole in her heart.# (We have found out since that within seconds of the injection of the bubbles that thousands went straight to her brain.)
#
The doctors then scheduled her for another TEE (the scope down the throat to look at the back of her heart).# We had this test done last Friday (December 11).# This test showed a significant size PFO where the wall of the septum did not close properly after she was born and has basically formed a large aneurysm that flaps back and forth.# In addition she has an ASD which is basically holes in the bottom portion of the septum.# At least one hole that is about 2cm in size and several smaller holes.# The doctors say that it is just like swiss cheese or cheese cloth.
#
We went yesterday (December 16) for a follow up with the surgeon.# He basically went over what we already knew and then gave us our options.# Megan will go into Oklahoma Heart Hospital (at Hillcrest in Tulsa) on the 29th and they will attempt to put patches on the PFO and ASD.# In order to do this they will go up through both groins (one with a camera and the other with the patches).# He stated that it will probably take two and possibly three patches to cover and re-inforce everything.# There IS the possibility that the patches won't be able to cover everything and/or that the tissue in her heart is not strong enough to hold the patches and/or the position of the holes in relation to the aneurysm will not allow the patches.# If any one of those instances occur then they will pull out and stop the procedure and then reschedule Meg for the more invasive surgery.# There will be a representative from the company that manufactures these patches at the hospital during the procedure because they don't know the quantity or size of patches that they will need and they want to make certain that they have what they need right there.
#
Meg's doctor stated that she will have to be on plavix and aspirin for 6 months and then just aspirin for the rest of her life, but that she should be as good as new in about 6 months.# After this amount of time,#tissue will form over the patches and the area will be smooth and fully functional.
#
A little side note:# PFO repairs are performed in Switzerland all of the time.# If a patient is diagnosed with one, it is repaired.# In the US the FDA will not allow a PFO repair unless there are other issues such as the ASD or a stroke (Meg had both).
#
Megan's doctor who will perform the procedure is Dr. Liembach and he is the Chief of Cardiology at Oklahoma Heart Hospital.# We have been so impressed with each and every doctor that she has seen with Oklahoma Heart.# They have all seemed to be sincerely interested in everything she has to say and wants to discuss and they spend a#lot of time answering all of her questions.# If you ever need a heart doctor.......I highly recommend these people!
#
We will not have the time of the procedure until the 28th and the procedure will take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours then she will have to stay in the hospital overnight.
#
We continue to ask for your prayers for Megan.# Please pray#that she comes through the surgery fine, that all of the repairs are able to be made and that she heals quickly.# We also ask for your prayers for the doctors that God is with them throughout the procedure and guiding them to bring Megan back to good health.# We continue to praise our Lord#for keeping Meg in the safety of his embrace, for placing her with excellent and fast acting physicians and for the love that he so obviously has for our little girl.
#
I'm not sure that I will be back on the computer following her surgery until after the first of the year, but I will update you as I can.

linda2671

Wow!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It certainly sounds like you've had excellent care for your precious sister. I will pray that Megan will come through the surgery well, and that her recovery will be quick and uneventful. I will also pray for comfort and strength for your family. It sounds like the worst is behind you, and I pray that you can relax knowing that Megan is in good hands.

mimi77

Prayers for your sister
Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Her procedure sounds amazing. Thank you for explaining it to us. Thank goodness you have found the problem and that you trust the doctors at this heart hospital. Saying prayers for your sister and all of you. Please let us know how things are when you are able.

chey

Prayers
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Lots of Prayers

pmpkin2

Old 12-29-2009, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow, it sounds like your family has done a great job getting the right help for your sister. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

MrsJ

sending prayers
Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Prayers being said for your sister, her surgeons, and all of you.

twin2

God is faithful

Clip to ScrapBook #7

MayCee, I will pray for Megan. I'm sorry for what Megan has been through, but praise the Lord for the testimony in the circumstances as well. Sometimes it's hard to recognize that the Lord is there, helping all the while. We don't know why things happen as they do, but as Romans 8:28 KJV says "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Sometimes I have held to that scripture in circumstances I couldn't understand. In the end, I have always found truth in that scripture, for God truly is faithful.

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:18

"Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." Romans 8:37

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." Mark 9:23

"In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me." Psalm 86:7

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all." Psalm 34:19

newbieteach

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Well I guess she has had her surgery by now. I pray that everything went well and she recovering well. You all were very lucky to have such great doctors. I hope she soon will be back to 100%

summertime

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sending you prayers and wishing Megan a speedy recovery!! Please keep us updated on her road to recovery! Hoping 2010 is a good one!!

MayCee

Update
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They just took her back for surgery. I will update when I have more info. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

crazyeights

It sounds
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

as if she is receiving the best medical care possible. I hope that all goes well for her.

Frannie

Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am praying for Megan, the medical staff, and your family.

iteach4th

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I, too, have said a prayer for your sister.....and all of you.

Please let us know how she's doing when you can.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It sounds like your sister has received and is continuing to get excellent care, the best around! Reading about that procedure was fascinating. Its amazing that they can do all that and she can be at home the very next day. She and the rest of your family continue to be in my prayers.

Nancy