How do I keep this house ready for showings?? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

How do I keep this house ready for showings??

>

Ruby07

How do I keep this house ready for showings??
Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm almost done. Every closet and every cupboard is perfectly organized. The bedrooms, kitchen and living room look like something out of a magazine. All of the wastebaskets and hampers are empty. The floors are glowing. The carpets are vacuumed. All of the furniture is dust-free. The shelves have lost their clutter.

The house is being listed tomorrow. Photos will be taken. I'm good with all that.

But then.............how do we LIVE in this house and keep it *READY* for showings?

I'm going to go insane, aren't I???

msamyb

selling your house
Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's hard to keep your house looking perfect, especially if you work. But here's what we did daily: made the bed, picked up any towels, clothes off of the floor, put dishes in the dishwasher instead of leaving a few in the sink, & wiped down the counters. On the weekends we did more of the basic cleaning (dusting, vacuuming, mopping, etc..)

It's impossible for your house to be spotless everyday & with kids well - that's another story. But people viewing your house should understand you live in it & perfectly vacuumed floors and emptied trash cans should not offend them. They are there to see the house itself - not how clean it is. I think as long as it's not dirty & trashed then it should be fine.

mooba1

You don't live in a museum
Old 01-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

so in my experience, keep the clutter picked up, the trashcans and sink clean. Most people don't expect perfection.

yogi

Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with msamyb. We also put a lemon wedge in our garbage disposal every morning before we left for work.

vespergirl

I used to
Old 01-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

run around with a dustbuster to any spots that I knew attracted dirt before leaving for work. There always seemed to be hair on the bathroom floor, for example, or a dustball growing under the entertainment center. Two seconds with the dustbuster and the floor would look great. It also meant I didn't have to vacuum every single day to keep the floors looking presentable.

Invest also in convenience products. Wipes for all of those last-minute touchups, for example. I see that Pledge now makes a multipurpose spray and that might be even better.

acorn

Showings
Old 01-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We did rent a storage unit and put a lot of junk in there to hide it. We did this for 4 months and then most of the stuff in our unit got placed in our yard sale. This helped us declutter our home which we need to do now. (not rent but de-clutter!)

We had a contract on our house. My boys were little 3 and 1 yo. We left to go house hunting in another state. I left beds unmade, and things out of order. When we returned 8 realtors had shown my house. The cat had knocked over a plant and dirt was all over the place. The contract had fallen thru!! I was so mad that the Realtor did not call our cellphone to let us know this. What really ticked me off was that the Realtor did not even show up for the closing!!! I let the attorney know that I was mad. For all the commission she got in the sale of my home she sent us a box of chocolates. I am now picky about my Realtors!! I must connect with them or I will choose another.

Best of luck with the sale of your home.

ily

Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ha ha, that is mission impossible with kids. We put our house on the market and went away for a week to find our new house, which isn't much help to you. We got the offere we accepted while away but it didn't close and people still wanted to see it, so we just stayed out of the house as much as possible, we were lucky to be in the summer, before bed each night we'd make sure everything was cleaned, then in the morning tidy again then we stayed away from the house as much as possible so they couldn't make a mess, it was hard, we were thankful it didn't take long.

sevenplus

Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Well, I'm not helpful because I was going to suggest moving to a hotel. (Not practical, of course.)

Really, you've gotten great advice. I should probably pretend my house is on the market. Maybe we'd stop being slobs!

summertime

worked for us
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I bought a pretty wicker basket with a lid for each main room. We tried to keep the house clean but if we got a call and had a short time to clean up anything laying around would go in the basket. I even kept a couple of empty laundry baskets in my car and could use them and put them right in the back of my car in short notice. Good luck. I hope it sells quickly.

BTW, the baskets and laundry baskets were help[ful for packing stuff up in when we ready to move.

ily

Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Summertime that is a great idea I wish we had of thought of when showing our home!

acorn

showings
Old 01-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I did buy fresh new colorful place mats and napkins for our kitchen table. I had new towels in the hallway bath and kitchen that no one used. Really just for display! When I was viewing houses I remember going into a house where it was not an open house but they left candles burning. Too much of a safety hazard for me. I blew out the candle.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Let me share a little story. Our house had been on the market for four months. I had done a pretty darn good job of keeping it clean and neat with two little boys, a DH (who fortunately is helpful) and a black haired, shedding lab. Well, one day while I was at school and no one else was home, we had left our bed unmade and the breakfast dishes in the sink (rare for us even when not selling the house). The dog had pooped on the floor which she hadly ever did. I got home and found out the realtor had just shown it. I was mortified! That night we had a contract from those same people who looked at it that afternoon! So, try not to stress over it.

Nancy