Help

The VENT

lost ipod

>

nativek

lost ipod
Old 11-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My son is in middle school and his teacher asked him to bring his ipod in to download an audio book. He had the ipod in another class, with the earphone sticking out of his shirt (most likely he was listening to it). That teacher took it away. She finally gave it back to the other teacher that was asking for it, to download the story. She finally gave it back to him to use for the day. He put the ipod back on her desk at the end of class and went on his way. She says that the ipod was in her desk and that someone took his but left hers. She thinks that this is weird. She says that some students are saying that my son has the ipod. I know he doesn't. His father and him both share the same ipod. He uses it during the day and he listens to it at night. They download music, videos, games. If he had it, he would be listening to it or downloading something on it. Have not seen it nor do I think he has it. Teachers says I don't know...I am a teacher too. But she's the one that asked for the ipod to be brought. I really don't know what to do.

nativek is offline   Reply With Quote

committed2U

Oh my, that's tricky
Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hmmm... I guess your question is, Is the teacher responsible for the replacement cost of the ipod? If I was the teacher in this scenario, I would definitely feel some responsibility for replacing it, but I'd also be very resentful if made to actually do it. It sounds like she's reluctant to incur the cost because she's not sure if your DS is being trustworthy. That's a tough call. Is there anyway that the ipod could be found? Word travels in MY, maybe a student will get caught red-handed??? I would say give it at least a week before discussing replacement costs with the teacher involved.

It is a bit suspicious that one ipod was left alone and the other taken.
committed2U is offline   Reply With Quote

carroll

ipod
Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It was inappropriate to ask a student to bring in an IPOD!
carroll is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 11-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would never ask a teacher to replace something like that. You (and he) had the power to say no to the offer of downloading the story in the first place, and did not. Taking an ipod to school is a risk and one he willingly took. He put it on her desk which is not a safe place to leave something like that.

It was stolen. End of story.

Lesson learned- do not bring things like that to school. If a teacher offers downloads, say that you don't feel comfortable with bringing it to school.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 11-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Why did the teacher ask for the Ipod...was the book for personal reasons? That might play into it a bit. Why would she ask a student to bring something that is not allowed?

At any rate, the teacher took the Ipod and put it in her desk. That means she took responsibility for it. She should have locked the desk, locked her classroom door, carried it around with her, given it to the office for safe-keeping, or given it back to the student immediately. She should pay for a new Ipod. How you go about getting her to do it is beyond me.

Flame away!

(I just asked my son what he thinks without telling what I thought--he likes to be anti-teacher since I am one and he thinks it's funny to annoy me--but he thinks it's the kid's fault. He thinks the kid blew it when he was listening to it when he shouldn't have.

And he wants to know if the book is copyrighted. Should he be sharing a downloaded book that he paid for? Should the teacher be asking him to do that? (I don't know; I'm an idiot about things like that.)

timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

Sorry, but...
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

an ipod is a toy. I know people don't think of them as that but to me that is what they are, albeit expensive ones. I think the teacher was in the wrong for asking him to bring it. However, in the course of things he is the one that got it taken away to begin with. It is a shame that it was stolen.

However, in the end I think child needs to understand that toys do not belong at school. (Yes I know it was for a book which is great, and yes I know he was following the guidance of a teacher and adult and using it for "good")

Also, as a sub it has been my experience that teachers do not lock their rooms. And even if they do all students have to do is ask someone w/ a key if they can get something and other teachers often let them in w/o cking to see what they are doing or locking the room back (I have had this beef w/ many teachers when i lock my purse in teh room to go to lunch) so one can only speculate who really took it.

I also know that kids do darn things. I would ck his pockets, locker, and room thoroughly to make sure it was not taken before I did anything about this and gave what to do anymore thought. I'd have to clear him first.

Then I would speak w/ the teacher directly. I think if she was gracious she'd pay for half, but most people aren't and the school rule will be on her side and I am not sure what waves you want to cast working for the dist.

Let us know what you do!
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do not know. If I had asked a child to bring an expensive thing to class and then it was lost from my classroom I would probably cover the cost of purchasing a new one. I would not ask a child to bring an i pod to the room in the first place. I am not sure what I would do in your circumstance.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote