Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, Branson

>

rdgirl

Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, Branson
Old 12-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are traveling from Shreveport through Hot Springs to Branson to stay for a few days, with a day/1 night trip to Eureka Springs (staying at the Crescent Hotel).

1) Any must eat places in Hot Springs or Little Rock on the way to or back from our trip?

2) Favorite off the beaten path places to eat in Eureka Springs and Branson?

3) Favorite "on the beaten path" places to eat in Eureka Springs and Branson?

Thanks so much!

We aren't really staying in Branson for the shows--We are just staying there b/c a friend is allowing us to use her condo free of charge, so we plan to just hang out and enjoy the change of setting and pace.

Orwell

A little italian place
Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't remember the name of the place, but there was a little itlaian place in Eureka Springs that was great. It's located in the historica part of town. The wife and I were married there at the Glass Chapel.

We had a bad experience the second time we went to the italian place, but the food was still good.

You should at least go to Silver Dollar City in Branson. It's great this time of year!

3boys:)

It's been awhile but...
Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We used to live in Fayetteville, AR, just a hop, skip and jump away from both places. We went to Eureka Springs a lot when we had time off from work. One of the places we loved to eat was Ermilio's (I think). Italian and it was really good!! Now, that was several years ago. Another place was the Bavarian Inn Lodge, which had some traditional German dishes that my husband just raved over (since his family is from there) but that I just thought were okay (being from the south ). You need to go to the Crescent Hotel and either take a tour or just walk around. Right by that is the Catholic church, gorgeous views and a beautiful church as well. We never did the Christ of the Ozarks, but heard it was really good. You need to walk around downtown, they have some great little shops. We stayed there on our honeymoon in one of the bed and breakfasts (off the beaten path), it is not there anymore. But you should def. take a drive just around the area. It is beautiful there.

Branson - we actually like Silver Dollar City. And that was before we had kids. It is a nice , little amusement park with a cavern near the entrance that you can pay to go down into. It is well shaded and comfortable to walk around, unlike Disney. Of course, if you are going soon, you may not want to go because it might too cold. I don't know much more about Branson because we usually just drove up to Silver Dollar City and tried to drive AROUND the traffic of the show areas. There are lots of shops around the edge, mostly just touristy stuff. If it is still there, you do need to eat at the Outback (not related to the other restaurant-this one came first). It has a dessert that is to die for, all I remember it that it had ice cream rolled in cornflakes and some other yummy toppings-delish!!!

Happy Knitter

Eureka Springs
Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Honestly, you can't go wrong there!! That's my favorite town in Arkansas by far.

Jalon

Eureka/Branson
Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Not sure what you're into, but...

Ermelio's in Eureka Spgs is a must do for dinner (historical loop about 4 blocks from the Crescent) . Second best is DeVito's, which is in the downtown area. Spend time walking around downtown. Hit Mud Street Cafe for breakfast, or a a coffee in the afternoon. It's nice to have a glass of wine there at night. Carriage ride is nice and they have blankets, but I'm not a fan of those in winter. About 3 miles out of town is Turpentine Creek, a wild cat animal sanctuary. They have lions/tigers/bears/etc. that idiots have tried to keep as pets. They rescue them, build habitats for them, and take care of them. Worth a visit if you love animals. Keels Creek Winery has a nice tasting room. Honestly, don't get caught up in the ghost tour hype. They really aren't that great. If you are in Eureka on Sunday morning, definitely do the brunch at the Crescent. If you can get Dolly as waitress (if she isn't hosting) she's the best! Whatever you're in the mood for, ask just about any local...they can direct you to just about anything!

Branson....Branson Landing is fun/upscale. A nice break from the hee-haw strip. Visit Chateau on the Lake for a great view and maybe lunch. Titanic Museum is a must-do...very nicely done and fun/informative.

I grew up in that area (Bentonville). It's great in spring/summer/fall, but winter gets drab looking. If you are going after Christmas, lots of Eureka will be pretty dead unless you're looking for a NYE party.

Have fun!

tooTired

tooTired

Hot Springs
Old 12-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I haven't been there in several years, but...
McClard's BBQ is very famous. It used to be good but I've been to a LOT of good barbecue places in Ark. & nearby states since I've eaten there, so who knows if my opinion would still be good. They are also famous for their tamales.

Jalon

hot springs
Old 12-16-2010, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

McClard's is still going strong and a favorite spot to eat! Yes, definitely hit there. Not fancy, just a hole in the wall, but really good.

In Eureka, don't bother with Bubba's BBQ....it's average at best. You'll see lots of advertising for it, though.

teacherfl

Hot Springs
Old 12-16-2010, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My parents are in Hot Springs. They really like Jason's, but they are closed on Mondays (hole in the wall). I used to work at HAWGS Pizza it was good when I was there. Umm. can't think of anything else right now.