TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Carnival Cruise and Cozumel!

>

Bethany

Carnival Cruise and Cozumel!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, fellow PTers!

My family and I will be going on a cruise starting July 4th, and one of the things my 15-year old niece is dying to do is swim with the dolphins. She actually wants to be a marine biologist, so this will be her dream.

There are several dolphin excursions we can choose from, and I want her to do the best one, so if you've done a dolphin excursion, did you like it?

Also, I want to do ziplining, so if anyone has done that in Cozumel, let me know.

We are also going to Progresso, and it doesn't look like very many excursions are available there, so if you went there, what did you do?

Thanks in advance, y'all! July 4th can't come soon enough.

ILoveToTeach

Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did the dolphin excursion in downtown Cozumel at Dolphinaris (booked through Carnival) and loved it! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I've never gone ziplining, so I can't help you with that one.

In Progresso we went on a tour of a Mayan Ruin and then on to a Mexican rodeo. It was fun, but HOT!!! We've decided that if we ever go to Progresso again that we will probably just stay on the ship and enjoy the pool w/out all the people.

bmcgee81

Progresso
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My wife and I went to Progresso on the same cruise you are doing. It was not a very fun place, honestly don't know why it is a port of call for Carnival. There is little shopping and nowhere good to eat, at least that we found. We did an off-road excursion to some Mayan ruins, but the previous poster is right it is HOT there.

TeachLoveRead

Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
we will probably just stay on the ship and enjoy the pool w/out all the people.
You can do that? I know I sound like an idiot, but I have never been on a cruise before, and we are looking at going soon.

Orwell

Try getting into either
Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Chankanaab or Xcaret. We did Chakanaab. It was a nice getaway. You can snorkle and search for submerged statues, swim with the dolphins, sea lion discovery, and more.
http://www.cozumel-tours.com/chankanaab-park.htm

http://www.cozumel-tours.com/xcaret.htm

Last edited by Orwell; 05-24-2011 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Woa! That font was huge!

Orwell

Yes teachloveread
Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can stay on the ship. You never have to leave!

Krielyteacher

Carnival
Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We went on a bus ride to the Myan Ruins. It was really neat to see up close. I am really glad we saw it. I had our 1 year old with us and he SCREAMED the entire ride back. The entire 2 HOUR ride back

Not fun for us or for the other passengers.

They give really good discounts in the spa when the ship is docked! Take advantage !!!!

3monkeys

We went on that same cruise a year ago
Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We took our three kidson the cruise in celebration of oldest dd's high school graduation. At that time they were 10yo dd, 12yo ds and 17yo dd. At Progresso, we just had a beach day. It was soooooo fun and relaxing. We made claim to part of the public beach (no charge) and ordered food and drinks from one of the restaurants (Buddy's, I believe...). There happened to be an up and coming country singer (Mark McKinney) who was on our cruise and also came to that beach w/ his family and friends and played music. It was great. We also did a lot of shopping in Progresso. I bought a silver bracelet and ring that I wear daily--I also smile when I wear it because it reminds me of our vacation!

fish2

Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a swim with the dolphins booked a few years ago, for Chankanaab park, but had to cancel due to hurricane changing our itinerary. Wanted to book again the next year, but had surgery on my arm and Dr. said NO WAY at that time... just haven't made it yet (will be there twice more this year.... maybe Christmas???)

Progresso: The pier is really, really, really long (several miles), and you will take a bus into the town. We got off the bus and took a double decker bus ride through town, pretty interesting. Then we walked down to the main road that runs along the beach. There is a restaurant a few blocks down on the right side called Le Saint Bonnet. It's great. Google it, they usually have some free Margarita coupons out there. Then dh and I had an hour long massage on the beach for $20 each. I enjoyed Progresso, but I'm easy! Give me a beach, some good food, Margaritas and throw in that massage and I'm good! (the first time we were there, the water was really murky, the 2nd time it was clear and beautiful, depends on the weather)

Last edited by fish2; 05-23-2011 at 02:44 PM..

bison06

Progresso
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I didn't read all the other comments but I'll share what we did in Progresso.

We took the bus ride to town and then we walked to the beach and bought some pottery along the way. It was just DH and I so we just looked around the beach - gorgeous water. We also ate at a taqueria on the beach. Then we rode a double decker bus around town. We had fun and got a lot of great pictures. The beach was very crowded - and lots of people are selling things.

I don't know how many are in your group or how many different excursions people will do but we did an ATV and snorkeling excursion that was AMAZING!! It wasn't through Carnival - I found it online. But we went the week after y'all are going and there was only one other couple on the ATV part of it and we were the only couple snorkeling so we had a private snorkeling tour guide. We loved it!!!