Help

Fourth Grade

Starting School

>

esa98g

Starting School
Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello fellow 4th grade teachers! Our school district has decided that our students will start school on September 1st this year. They will go 2 days of school and then get a 3 day weekend. This is the first time that our district has chosen to start school before Labor Day in years. Many parents aren't happy about it, nor are the teachers. We already know that several students will be absent those first 2 days because of vacations already planned for the long weekend. What would you suggest we do those first couple of days when our classes won't be complete? We are struggling with how to keep the kids entertained. We normally would teach rules and procedures during those days. Do you think we should still teach them even though we will have to do it all over again on Tuesday when the rest of the kids show up? Help! Thank you.

esa98g is offline   Reply With Quote

hsday

start date
Old 07-22-2011, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't really answer your question, but I want to point out that you are lucky. We start school on August 22nd. That is only four short weeks away.
hsday is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

early start date
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I start on August 9th! But then, I'm year-round school and only had a 6 week summer!!
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We always start the Thursday before Labour Day. Yes there is always the 2 or 3 kids who dont show up before the long weekend but I think you will be surprised in that most will show up. Our problem is often that many will skip Friday afternoon to go camping or whatever.

Anyways I would suggest that you get started with routines etc. I think that if you dont then those kids who are there will see the year start of with a fun free for all type of environment. I think it would be good to get whoever shows up into the routines and it wont hurt them to review routines on Monday. They can also set the example for the others. Also if you treat Thurs and Frid as fun non learning type days and if you start early again next year parents will really start to think the two days are unimportant. If they start to realize they are important they may be more apt to plan vacations appropriately. Hope that helps
cheerio is online now   Reply With Quote

fineally

Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We start August 1st! The kids don't come back don't come back till Aug 22nd... I think its crazy!

fineally is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 07-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think you really do have to go ahead with your rules and procedures on the first days, or run two risks -

1) setting the wrong tone for the year with the students who do come, which I'm assuming will be most of your class, and

2) reinforcing to the parents that the first days are not really important, which might weigh into their vacation decisions for next year.

You could catch the Tuesday kids up in several ways -

- have the kids who were there take turns explaining the different parts
- send home a written version that the parents have to go over with them and sign
- actually ask the students and parents who were away to come in for a short open house thing and do your reteaching then

In addition to the procedures on the first days, maybe do some getting-to-know-you type things, surveys of their interests, let kids talk to the class about books they read over the summer if they want.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

flowergirl

I go back August 10
Old 07-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and Open House is the 11th. Kids start August 16. We are not a year round school.
flowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

whtdaisies

Same time
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Teachers go back on Aug. 31, with Back-to-School Night that same night. Kids return on Sept. 1st. We did the same last year and didn't have a problem with attendance. The only thing we thought didn't work out as well was having BTSN before school actually started, because the turn out wasn't as great as other years.

I agree with PP. Start with rules, procedures, and routines. Set the tone early. We also do some getting-to-know-you activities. Get these out of the way, and the next week we can start with the academic stuff.
whtdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

LovinWhatIDo

Aug. 15th
Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Teachers go back August 8th and students go back the 15th. Plus, we go to the end of May, like the 26th!! I wish we could wait to go back till Labor Day! Especially since I am pregnant and due in 5 days! That would give me extra time with my little one!!
LovinWhatIDo is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I remember being a student and we used to do that too. Yep, school is run like normal and enrollment really wasn't that low.

I personally would just do what you normally do, treat it like the first 2 days of school. It's also great to get the kids' feet wet before hitting the ground running, if you get what I mean.

My district has earlier start dates than most school districts, so we often have lower enrollment sometimes, but we still operate like normal the whole time.

We start Aug 15th, teachers go back the 10th, we're in school through the 2nd week of June...we aren't year round, but just have a modified calendar, which means you get two extra weeks vacation thrown into the school year, which I like. (A fall break week, and a third week for winter break, besides the one week for spring)

Last edited by basketball777; 07-23-2011 at 05:47 PM..
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

stagecat

Ya'll are LUCKY.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We aren't year round and the kids start on August 8th! I go back in a week and a half for preplanning!
stagecat is offline   Reply With Quote

KatSkratch

Teaching Structure with Scavenger Hunts
Old 07-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with everyone about going on with rules and procedures. Despite Labor Day plans, a lot of parents are not going to have their student miss the first day of school (and a lot of kids don't want to miss the first day either!)

But also, here's another idea. In addition to the normal first day of school stuff, you might try to have textbook scavenger hunts. It's fun, the kids who are present will benefit from knowing their book, the ones who are not will not have missed anything big, and best of all, you can really sort of teach the structure of the day, what to do when someone is finished, where to turn in assignments, etc. We usually start school on a Wednesday or Thursday, and last year I did Science and Social Studies textbook hunts. I did it mostly to teach procedures like handing in work and to review the parts of a book, but the kids had a good time, and I gave prizes and homework passes out.

If you already positive about there being numerous students absent, you may just have to play it by ear. If for some reason more than half of your class is gone, you may have to improvise and just celebrate the first day of school and the fact that those students showed up? But I think you'll have more present than you think.
KatSkratch is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

first days without the whole class
Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I tend to agree with those who have suggested just go ahead with the normal procedures.

You could catch the Tuesday kids up in several ways -

- have the kids who were there take turns explaining the different parts
- send home a written version that the parents have to go over with them and sign
- actually ask the students and parents who were away to come in for a short open house thing and do your reteaching then

In addition to the procedures on the first days, maybe do some getting-to-know-you type things, surveys of their interests, let kids talk to the class about books they read over the summer if they want.

I think these are really good ideas from Lakeside!

I might even send things like interest surveys home for hw to those who missed
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

alamom

first days of school
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Well, first of all...we start August 5 and students come on the 10th! We always have some students who don't come the first few days and some who come but take off Friday before Labor Day for a long weekend. But--- we start out with rules and procedures and several fun art projects. The students who don't come the first few days usually fit in just fine and learn rules/procedures from their classmates as well as their teachers! I'm usually the first teacher to break out the books because if we don't get started with reading, we lose too much time and feel "behind" for the rest of the semester!
alamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Emptynester1

Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

What are some of your really fun art projects?
Emptynester1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Emptynester's idea made me think
Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

...... of the penny drop experiment that teaches the scientific method. It is such fun and something they would be talking about for days.
You can find it on-line.
Phyllis is online now   Reply With Quote

KatSkratch

Penny Drop?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Are you talking about how many drops of water will fit on a penny? I love that experiment, but I'd never thought to do it at the beginning of the year! You know the first few days of school are so hectic that you never get to all the subjects- so that's a great way to review some math at the same time.

Great idea, thanks!
KatSkratch is offline   Reply With Quote