Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

What is your opinion???

>

teachermrse

What is your opinion???
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

About pregnant girls being on the Homecoming Court? Our local High School has elected 2 young ladies that are pregnant -- one very pregnant young who will be riding in the Homecoming parade on the back of a car (in a convertible)??

I kind of feel that the Homecoming Court should be young ladies that set a good example -- good grades, good attendance ---

Please know that it is just my opinion, I do not look down on these young ladies at all, it has sparked a great debate in our town. So what do you think?? I feel that if it were my daughter I would not want her to participate --- (again, just my opinion, I have NOT been in this position and maybe I would feel different). Just curious bc it has been such a debate.

Mrs. Hos

Wow!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am actually shocked. When I was a pregnant teen that would never have happened. I was even fairly popular before becoming pregnant, but at our school it was assumed you would drop out and if you didn't, well it was just awkward.

I personally wouldn't allow my daughter to be on court while pregnant b/c as you said, it doesn't set a good example. Becoming a teenage parent means learning to give up the things you want to do and growing up. Homecoming and/or court would just be the beginning of that lesson.

klarabelle

Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't have a problem with it, there but the grace of God goes my child. By the way, is this the way the father is being treated? Kicked off the sports team, not allowed on the court, etc. YOu get the idea! The girl got "caught" having sex, how many of the girls on the court are also guilty. I think the fact the girl is staying in school should be applauded, so many teenagers drop out of school and don't have a plan in place that I think allowing the girls on Court is a good show of faith. But that is my opinion.

Orwell

I'm torn on this one
Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach high school. We had a girl that was pregnant elected to homecoming court. Her name was removed from the list and the next in line took her spot. While it should be students that are "model" students, the kids still vote on the person/people that they want on the court. Removing the child from court is like telling the kids that voted her in that their votes don't count. Maybe they shouldn't have voted for in the first place, but should we really start putting "virgin" as a requirement to be queen? The truth of the matter is, many of the young ladies on court aren't pregnant, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing the same thing that the pregnant girls did. While we don't know what they do in their private lives, many of the students do!

However, the homecoming queen is a public face of the school. So....I'm torn in both directions on this one.

teachermrse

Good point Klarabelle!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are so right! I did not even think about the fathers!!!

CowTipper22

prego teen
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know a teen right now that became instantly popular when she got pregnant. If my home school did homecoming, she would be on it because of how popular she is now. All the girls are writing to her on facebook about what a good mommy she is going to be. Mean while she is posting all the drama about the baby daddy (one day they are together, one day they are not).

In that case, I would say no, but I guess different situations call for different ways to handle things.

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Where we live it is the kids' decision based on their votes. The requirements is that the people on the ballot need to go to the highschool the ballot is for. Kids do a nomination round, then a smaller vote (primary?) and the a final vote. It is not the decision for anyone but them. It IS a popularity contest. They sure as heck don't always nominate role models. The guys who won king at my school were always partying, womanizing types.

I am definitely very pro girl. If you knock the pregnant girls off the list you better be knocking the daddies off the list. The problem with that is teen boys often deny until the DNA test. I say don't even mess with it. It's up to the kids anyway, and not us.

Last edited by janeypoo; 09-29-2011 at 06:10 AM..

teenytiny

Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What makes you think that these pregnant girls don't get good grades or have good attendance? What you are judging is that they had sex. Get real here: a lot of teenage girls have sex. Sometimes that results in pregnancy. Sometimes it doesn't. Some get abortions. Some don't.

It's always the girl who is demonized. The guy participated in the same way, but they never get any type of judgement like this.

And seriously- is it a requirement that homecoming court all be virgins? Because I can tell you, many of them aren't. Pregnant or not.

amherstteach

Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have absolutely no problem with it. Let's face it, it IS a popularity contest. Many of the popular kids are the types that party, sleep around and aren't exactly the best role models. So, just because a girl gets knocked up she is a bad role model? Believe me...plenty of the other kids who aren't knocked up aren't angels either. Unfortunately, many kids in high school sleep around...cool kids, poor kids, rich kids, religious kids, boys, girls, nerds, popular kids, etc. I don't think that t is fair to that one girl who was the "unlucky one who got knocked up" to not be allowed to serve on the homecoming court. it could happen to any of them who are having sex.

I also agree with other PP's WHy is it always the girl who has to suffer. If you aren't going to allow the girl to serve on the court than the "baby daddy" shouldn't either.

mamacanteach

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Why does pregnancy at any age mean you should suffer or lose out on things? That's crazy in my opinion. She had sex. She got pregnant. Big deal. The fact that she's still in school says a lot. Doesn't that alone make her a good role model? In my high school many of the people who appeared to be the best role models were not at all! What adults see and what teens see/know is sometimes completely different.

Yes, it is a popularity contest. Maybe she was chosen because she's pretty. Or maybe she was chosen because she is a good friend. It would be sad to have her removed because of that. Also, why give the students the illusion that they have a say in the matter if some adult is just going to come along and override their decision?

subczy

Omg!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have a huge preg. rate in our community. they are often planned pregnancies.

I would say if this person is in good academic and behavior standing and was truly voted in then allow them to do it. The homecoming court belongs to the students - it is their vote and their choice of person. For some reason this class admires and has respect for this person. It could have more to do w/ certain poor choices she made in her PERSONAL life.

do I personally care for it? Nope. However, if that person is still in school that is a GOOD thing.

P.s. our dist also frowns upon students being married, but that doesn't stop them from doing it and it used to get them kicked out. now they hide it and get their education which is the MAIN goal we are after....right??

TXlady

Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think we should be fair, and both the pregnant girl and the guy who got her pregnant should not be allowed to participate in homecoming/sports. But you're right that its only the girl who gets "caught" cause she's the one that carries the baby.

I think we've gotten to a point where we're gloryifying teenage pregnancy. In my mother's teenage years if a girl got pregnant she hid it or "went away" for 9 months. When I went to high school (graduated in '00) girls would talk proudly about being pregnant, being called a "slut" was a compliment, and I remember even the Home Ec. teacher threw a baby shower for one of the pregnant girls. I think we need to find some middle ground. We shouldn't shame girls but we also shouldn't act like teenage pregnancy is a wonderful thing.

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I know I might get slammed for this, but all the teen moms from my old HS have college degrees and are productive members of society.(I graduated in 01.) I think the girls do lose out on some great things (like being free and single those college years) but it is not the "life ruiner" that a lot of people talk about it being. Plus, society is just not the way it used to be thirty years ago when girls were sent away. Their peers decide what is cool and what is not. The more adults hate it the better in their eyes. As for the baby shower, the teacher probably knew that the girl would need things and she might not get those things another way. Most girls I know would never want to get pregnant. I think that is why making sure our girls are involved in activities and have interests outside of boys is so important. Other than that, we don't have a lot of control. Parents need to make more time for their girls(and boys , too.) Kicking girls off the homecoming court is not going to do much except make cool new rebels.