Help

First Grade

How many workbooks do you have?

>

mommy22boys

How many workbooks do you have?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like all I do is push through the day to get these workbooks pages done. We have 9 workbooks and 6 copybooks ! It just seems excessive to me. Is this the norm?

If you have this many, how do you fit the teaching in and still get the pages completed?

mommy22boys is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Workbooks
Old 10-22-2011, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow! I can't imagine dealing with all those workbooks. I only have a Math workbook. I used to have the Trophies (reading/phonics) practice books, but I asked the principal not to order them for me. I just copy the few pages I find useful. It's really so much easier. Workbooks cost a lot of money. They may want to cut down. Maybe you could ask.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 10-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My curriculum calls them 'worktexts'. They look like workbooks, but are consumable texts. Mine have 7, but 2 aren't used very often. I use some of it as seat work when I'm with the 2nd graders.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

mastershake

Old 10-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have math, reading, social studies, spelling and English (that don't even go with the spelling and English that we use), handwriting, and our science book is a consumable. Our district curriculum people order the workbooks for the whole district so we're stuck with them.

A few years ago, when I was new to first, I used every workbook I had because that's what the other teachers were doing. I really hated it and I never had time to do the hands-on activities that my kids really needed. I was also spending all of my time tearing out pages and sorting papers. I had stacks and stacks of workbooks taking up my living room. This year I kinda said screw it. I use the reading and math as a morning work review the week after I teach the skills. I also use the handwriting. That's it. I was really scared at first, but my kids are doing so well now with all the fun, hands-on things we're doing. And the review the next week is helping to keep the skills fresh on their minds.

Nine workbooks is very excessive. I'm sure you and the kids hate them. Be a rebel. Forget the workbooks!
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 10-22-2011, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a consumable math book, reading workbook, and handwriting. I never have used all the pages in any of them. We decide as a grade level which pages are worthwhile to use and which pages to skip. We do lots of hands on activities. Are you sure that all those pages need to be completed?

hand is online now   Reply With Quote

luvmykiddos22

Wow!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow! I thought we had a lot!!! We had 5 last year and thanks to our principal (or should I say the "academic freedom") I was allowed to purchase only 2 of the 5 workbooks this year. I have been wanting to ditch them for sooo long and teach utilizing different techniques!!

Implementing the Phonics Dance (Love it! ) and the Daily 5 (A-W-E-S-O-M-E) and ditching the worksheets is both overwhelming yet so rewarding at the same time!!!
luvmykiddos22 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy22boys

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the responses. I'm feeling somewhat vaidated that there's too many! It's just so frustrating because I'm trying to get the daily 5/cafe started ,but I'm not getting anywhere with these books and I'm stuck with them because we all have to do the same thing (4 of us!) and some of them are not willing to change.

Thanks for the input again. Maybe I can find a way to bypass a few here and there without causing too much drama.
mommy22boys is offline   Reply With Quote

momtow

My students have one
Old 10-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We did away with all workbooks over five years ago except for our everyday math math journals. I can't imagine going back to having students do all that busy work. We have put money into more books in the classrooms for the students to be reading and responding to through discussion and written responses.
momtow is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

we have 3
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have our EM math journals, handwriting, and a phonics book. Our kids need direct instruction in phonics, so I'm glad we have that to fill in any gaps the word study may leave them with (some of them will never get to prefixes and suffixes in their sorts, but it's a 2nd grade skill that is tested and is on our report card!) And the others are useful, too. But I was delighted to give up our reading series and the practice books that went with them a few years back- they were torture!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

beachmom68

workbooks
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We did away with workbooks as well several years ago...only everday math journal now. We use real literature and writer's notebooks. We also use word sorts and lots of writing paper!

I can't imagine having to correct all that "busywork" and then still trying to figure out what students know. More authentic work seems to show more authentic assessment.

beachmom68 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher1st!

workbooks
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

9 sounds excessive!! However, it got me to counting how many my grade has: 5 available for our reading curriculum, 1 handwriting, 1 for a grammar curriculum, and of Saxon math worksheets (not in an actual workbook, but still) For reading they don't order all of them for every kid, 2 of them are just teacher's masters we can chose to make copies of. There are members of my team who would never go for getting rid of them, but this year I no longer use them all anymore. Workbooks is one of the "stations" I have my kids rotate through twice a week while I pull small groups. The other two days the workbook station is a write in your journal station. It's cut down on the amount of time spent doing them significantly and I don't have every group do the same pages, I just assign them the one's that will be most beneficial to them and their abilities. I say, pick and choose!
teacher1st! is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have math and science. The only reason why I have science workbooks is because we adopted a new curriculum this year and are testing them out. Needless to say, I won't be using them next year ;-) We have a math workbook and a math practice book. The math workbook I use almost daily in my math instruction. The math practice book, I tear out pages and the kids take them home for their weekly homework. My school has learned to just purchase the black master books. That way, teachers can just make copies when they need them, rather than wasting so much money on barely used workbooks. I have the handwriting black masters, and the spelling/phonics black masters that goes with my reading series. To me, workbooks are a waste of time and money. Teaching can be so much more valuable without the use of workbooks/worksheets. I don't know how you find the time to get through all of those! YIKES!!
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

mandy7

9 workbooks! Wow! Way too many!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We have 3, Math, reading and grammar.
mandy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I call them activity sheets..and we have only one 'activity sheet' book..
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

Leley

Old 10-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I completely agree with you. I have workbooks for reading, phonics, "skills," spelling, language, math, and math homework. We have texts for Science & Social Studies. In addition to that, I work with teachers who feel we need even more & run worksheets for grammar, additional language skills, & math facts. In addition to that, I have to prepare for & remediate for DIBELS & AIMS, which are not covered with any of the workbooks, textbooks, or worksheets. I never feel like I get everything covered. It's just a hit & miss for what I can cover in a week because Friday is our "testing day." I have never disliked a year as much as this one.
Leley is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

I do ZERO
Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have math workbooks and our old reading series has a bunch, but they are a waste of time and trees. I only do authentic reading and writing and I make my own recoding sheets to match my hands on math activities. I do Daily 5/Cafe and that is perfect for my first graders. Save the trees and ditch the workbooks!
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tchur8

Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We don't have any consumables which doesn't make me feel obligated to use all the worksheets (that I have to make copies of). If I do use worksheets, I try to make one copy whenever possible and use my Elmo. It becomes interactive for all students to become more engaged and they get turns to come up and use dry erase markers.
Tchur8 is offline   Reply With Quote