Help

The VENT

No Accountability

>

anna

No Accountability
Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was proctoring a 6th grade class and before testing began,during a discussion,this little rat seemed to get a thrill from thinking teachers get judged from his test score He has no accountability in California. He sat like a slug all year and will bubble whatever he feels like. Social promotion has its perks

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

musicbug

Then they wonder...
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

why teachers don't want to be held accountable when the kids aren't. The time is coming when no one will wasn't to teach and those that can will have been non renewed. Then the only schools will be cyber ones. Then the nightmare will begin.
musicbug is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know this is a vent, and I totally agree. I have a handful this year who have close done nothing, despite my very best efforts.

But genuinely... what would it look like for kids to be held accountable? Would it be getting held back? Summer school? Something else? Something more? I'm actually asking, as I've only been teaching for 6 years, and the funds for summer school were long gone by the time I started. Was there a system in the past that held kids responsible and actually worked? Or is there something else we need to try? (again, genuinely curious...)
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For those without true disabilities and fail the test... retain these kids. Build parking lots for their cars at the k-6 schools. These kids spend many hours at school and no one holds them accountable for learning. These slugs come to school to socialize
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Reply to Genuinely Curious
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't think the accountability issue for students was any better thirty years ago when I began teaching than it is today. Today, it seems the accountability issue is placed more on the backs of teachers than it is on the backs of students and parents...which is where it needs to be!!

Actually, today there is a little more pressure for retention in third and eighth grade, and no high school graduation (in Wisconsin) which only happened after "No Child Left Untested" was implemented. However, even though these choices can be consequences, I have not seen them used in my district to the extent I think they can be used. There are too many second chances...summer school, pull-out intervention during the school day, tutors, etc.

I do believe there are some students who have good reason to be below grade level expectations...I am thinking learning problems, other disabilities, or lack of maturity. However, there are some families who have children and then pretty much ignor the need to read to them, help with homework, and offer emotional, academic, or social support...believe it is the job of the school to do this.

There are also many more families who take advantage of the system...free and reduced lunch, attendance issues, etc. Life is not a free ride, but there are families who count on the free ride to get by.

If I were running the world, all interventions would be done at the beginning of the day or the end of the day. The school day for students needing intervention would be longer. Parents would attend the intervention classes so they could continue the practice at home and know just how to do it. This would definitely set some expectations for them...give them the knowledge they need to do what is best for their child. I believe there are parents who know their child is below the expectations, but do not know the right way to address the problem. Educating parents daily has to be the next best step to assisting students.

I know parents are busy and need to work...but their first job is to parent and that means supporting their child academically, socially, and emotionally. If not able to support their children, parents should not be parents. The system is broken because we allow them to believe it is OK to be a poor parents with an undefined job description!! The school and society should not take care of the raising their children!!

Last edited by ConnieWI; 04-25-2013 at 03:22 AM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

scootertalks

All I can say is....
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

...Amen! I'm right with you, Connie!!! Well said
scootertalks is offline   Reply With Quote

annalilbit

Income Tax Deductions
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If I was running the school and the world, NO PARENT WOULD BE ABLE TO CLAIM AN INCOME DEDUCTION UNLESS THEIR SCHOOL AGED CHILD MET AYP. I bet there would be more accountability on the end of both children and parents. Teachers would then be able to teach.
annalilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Anntry...
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Very good idea!

I would vote for that!!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

cteacherrun

Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All of your comments are spot on for those students and parents who do not take education seriously. However, our systems also teach many students who have legitimate reasons why they don't make grade level. I think both the problem of these students and the ones who are not serious can be solved by a growth model, rather than the current system of meeting AYP. In a growth model, teachers must prove that each child improved during the course of the year. For various reasons, some students will improve a lot and others a little, but the teacher gets credit for all of it
cteacherrun is offline   Reply With Quote