Help

BusyBoard

Name Tag Dilema

>

jjwires

Name Tag Dilema
Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really want my kids to have name tags on their desks, but I get so tired of them picking them apart. I tried putting them down with clear packing tape, but then they pick & play with that. Thanks for your suggestions.

jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just pinned something and it said to use the Sharpie paint pens to write the kdis names. When you need to erase the name, color over it with a dry erase marker then wipe with a kleenex. I'm going to do that this year, especially since I've having to clean up the last teacher's desks (see post below_.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

smithteach3rd

Kagan
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went to a Kagan workshop last year and they suggested instead of moving desks when you want to rearrange that you have them put their stuff on their chairs and just move the chair. This gave me an idea. I put their name tag on the back of their chair. This way they don't play around with them.
smithteach3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Name Tags
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year I put the name tags on the back of their chair instead of on the table/desk. This was a million times better! They rarely touch the back of the chair so playing with the tags wasn't really a problem. And any time chairs were moved for something they always got their same chair back!
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of my co-workers did the Sharpie paint pen thing last year, and it did work. What I did was move the name plates to the front of the desks, not on top of the desks. The students didn't bother them at all there. I think to start the year, I will put them on top, then switch them to the front.

prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

teachermo

BEWARE sharpie on desks!!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just a word from experience, unless your desks are NEW, don't believe the sharpie trick. I stupidly tried something new minutes before leaving the classroom for a week! I wanted to right a few special messages to a few students. I tried it on an extra desk (with a shiny surface, obviously much newer than my regular desks) and it came right off, great I thought. So I moved to a student desk. Mind you I had worked and worked to be gone all of this time, it was like 8pm (after I'd already stayed and worked for several hours the Sat. before) and it did NOT come off of the desk! I ended up having to go find another desk and actually move the kids stuff into a new desk. This was after I'd tried everything I could think of to get it off: finger nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, germx, magic eraser, etc. NOTHING WORKED

Moral of the story: if your desks are not new, or have a shiny smooth surface don't try it. I've been at the same school for 14 years and the desks are decades older than that probably. I spent an extra 45 min. to fix an error.
teachermo is offline   Reply With Quote

TravelingGal

Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like my kids to be able to look at their name tags so putting them on their chairs wouldn't work. I reward my kids for keeping their name tags nice.
TravelingGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Really Good Stuff
Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

These are great!
http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/zaner...lper/p/154710/
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Groovy Gal

Name tags
Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have laminated tags and attached a magnet (I used business card magnets) and put on the metal part of the desk. The name tag may have to be moved if you move around your desks into groups or rows. You can also do activities on the whiteboard with the tags.

I have also heard of using Velcro but have not done so. Could be a good idea. I would laminate the name tags also.
Groovy Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

self adhesive
Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used them for the first time last year and LOVED them! I'm not sure why, but most kids left them alone. They peel of without leaving anything behind. My kids really use the tools on the nametag. I don't see any point to having name tags anywhre else. I know their names! I did try velcro one time. What a disaster. They not only pulled the nametags off, but they peeled the velcro off too!

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I like the magnet idea. Only problem is, last year I had 2 desks in my classroom that had a heavy plastic compartment instead of a metal one, so they weren't magnetic. All of our desks are stored over summer vacation, though, so maybe I could make sure I get only metal ones. Hmmm...
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

cassie99

Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I cut sentence strips to 8" and write their name with a Sharpie. Then I let them color and decorate them, laminate them, and slap them down with packing tape. I've had really good luck with this and they usually last the whole trimester. I let them redo them each trimester. I think since they made them, they take ownership of it and don't feel the need to pick at them or doodle on them. This has worked for me!
cassie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bapa

Sharpie Alert
Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I, also, tried the Sharpie trick. Thank goodness I only did it on one desk! It DID come off, but not as easily as I expected! Really took some rubbing. I think it'll be easier to just laminate the nametag and slap it on the desk. Last year they stayed amazingly good until the last quarter, and then we did new ones, just because we needed a lift! Dilemma after dilemma!
Bapa is offline   Reply With Quote

CheleOh

name tags
Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Maybe it's because I teach 5th grade, but I've never really understood the "name tag" thing. Does it really take teachers THAT long to learn their students' names?

I make a set and keep them for substitutes to use, but it's just for the day & they're taken up at the end of the day for the next time.

Maybe little kids need them more? My kids usually have so much STUFF (textbooks, journals, etc.) that name tags aren't really visible anyway.

Chele :-)
CheleOh is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

CheleOh- I had 1st grade last year and 2nd grade this year. I had some kids who didn't know how to spell their last name and/or forgot how to form letters. My name tag plate also has the alphabet and numbers because kids don't know all of those either.

When I did 3rd grade I had the name plates on the desk for the first week then the kids could bring them home.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

AF1st

Tables
Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have tables and a community supply tote in the middle. I used velcro to attach the name tags to the totes and this has worked out pretty well. Plus when we move seats they just pull them off and stick them at their new spot.
AF1st is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

No name tags
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I got so tired of seeing students peel them up, then put them down, then peel them up... you get the idea. Last year I simply numbered each desk with the student's number. I used a small card and taped it with clear packing tape. They lasted all year, with very little picking on the students' part, and were easy to remove.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

CheleOh, I teach 3rd and my 'name tags' also have the cursive alphabet, multiplication chart, fractions, a ruler, etc on them. They're actually called 'desk plates.' My kiddos use them daily.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinkids04

Name Tag Challenge
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I love name tags - they just add something to the room. I play a name tag challenge game where I tell students that the student with the neatest name tag will receive a prize at the end of the year. This works really well.

I know my students name but if I move desks and need to pass out papers to specific kids then it is just easy for me and for the students who help me out early in the morning.
teachinkids04 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I cut sentence strips to 8" and write their name with a Sharpie. Then I let them color and decorate them, laminate them, and slap them down with packing tape.
I'm in 1st and do almost the same thing.

I cut sentence strips in half, write their full name, then draw a tight box around their name. They decorate outside the box and I laminate. I use tape along the top of the tag to tape it down. It makes a flap which papers can be slid under so they don't fall off the desk. I replace the tape usually once or twice all year, but I never have to replace the name tags. They don't pick at them, I guess because they move so freely.

PS...I use painter's tape to make the flap and it leaves no residue.

Last edited by multigrade; 07-16-2013 at 05:45 AM..
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

Double sided duct tape
Old 07-16-2013, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Worked great! I bought it at Walmart. I laminated the desk plates and affixed them with the tape. The only ones that didn't make it through the year were the ones that I put just one strip of tape down the middle instead of one along each long edge. I was concerned about what reside would be left behind. None! I just peeled them off and was done!
I do like to the tip above about make the flap, though.
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Sharpie markers
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I also tried the Sharpie markers. I do not have new desks. When we cleaned out desks off at the end of the year, the marker came off but not very easily and it had only been on for a little over 2 months. We used a combination of old Expo markers, hand sanitizer and good ole elbow grease. I like the idea of not having nametags on the desk and want to to do the Sharpie thing again but I'm afraid that if it's on longer we won't be able to get it off at all . I have used the plastic sleeves that someone posted and my kids destroyed those. They picked at those more than they picked at the packing tape.
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

name plates
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Last year I put a color dot with a number (for student numbers) on each name tag. I then laminated them with thick, 5mm, lamination. I wrote their names on top of the lamination with a Sharpie.
I attached them to each desk with velcro. It was really easy to move the kids this way.

I was able to clean off all of the names at the end of the year and can use them again next year. Only one got destroyed. The other thing I liked about it was that for state testing all I had to do was pull the name tags off of the velcro and we were good to go.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

sparky123

I use clear contact paper over nametags
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

and it is very easy to remove and no residue. Kids still pick at them though
sparky123 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

CheleOh----Name tags can be used for many purposes...I teach 3rd...on one side of a tent-like nametag I have the students' names printed perfectly (helps those who are struggling with letter formation), and on the other side I have their names in cursive (required skill, and the kids love practicing their names way before we start learning the skill).

After the first few days of learning names (teacher and students), the nametags are put away in desk folder.

The most important reason we keep our nametags handy is for a guest teacher ;-)

Linda
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I was afraid of the Sharpie trick, because I'd read mixed reviews, so when I went in last week I wrote with a Vis a Vis, and board marker on the desk to see what happened. The Vis a Vis came right off, but I think the board marker might work just fine.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote