Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

crazy??? 2nd to ms science

>

pvtflukd

crazy??? 2nd to ms science
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have the opportunity to move from 2nd grade to middle school science (5-8). School starts Sept. 9th and I have to let my pincipal know by Tues. Pros? Cons? I am SO undecided!

pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.L

Go for it!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

MS is great. I taught MS science for 3 years, left for gr.3/4 and now back this year teaching ELA to gr. 7 and 8.
Mr.L is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms.KKD

Do it!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught elementary for 5 years (Pre-K through 3rd) and made the switch to middle school ELA last year. I love, love, love it! I was hesitant about this age group but I know I am a true middle school teacher. Change is good. I think it's always good to try new things out. If it's not for you, you can move back to elementary.

I would definitely say if you're teaching at the MS level you need to enjoy the subject. I was able to teach all subjects in elementary and never minded it, but in MS, I am an ELA teacher. Last year I had to teach one section of science and I hated it! Just because I'm not really science-minded. I love my language arts classes though.
Ms.KKD is offline   Reply With Quote

suzy_q

ms science teacher here
Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and I love it! The students are more independent than your 2nd graders and you won't have to do as many sets of lesson plans/preps. However, middle schoolers can be challenging especially if that is not the age group you have the heart for.
suzy_q is offline   Reply With Quote

kelsie44

Love it
Old 08-30-2013, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught elementary for one year before moving to middle school science. I love the fact that my day is broken up into individual hours. It's nice only having to see some kids for 45 minutes a day. Be prepared to put up with more drama and attitude though. Middle schoolers definitely take a certain type of teacher to handle some of their dramatics. Since switching to m.s. science I noticed the amount of my own money that I spend on classroom supplies has increased. Sometimes I think science can be the most expensive subject to teach. Good luck with your decision.

kelsie44 is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

Thank you!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have until Tuesday to decide. I'm really leaning towards taking the leap! I do love science and like the fact that I will be focusing on just one subject.
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

No truer words were ever spoken!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

[QUOTESince switching to m.s. science I noticed the amount of my own money that I spend on classroom supplies has increased. Sometimes I think science can be the most expensive subject to teach.][/QUOTE]

And if there is not a state test in your grade level, your subject is the stepchild.

However, I still love middle school science. What other subject would you get to play with toys?!
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote