Help

Kindergarten

Am I crazy?

>

Lanieob

Am I crazy?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Am I crazy??? And if so, how can I learn to keep my mouth shut? Some advice, please. I am sure there are other K teachers out there extremely bothered by what has happened to kindergarten these days. I teach half day K, and of course, we rush, rush, rush. This week, we had a reading expert in to analyze our mid year Dibels results. We were told we have to get our scores up by the end of the year. Also, that we need to take away recess, gym and make more time for academics. We base all our intervention on Dibels results, and classroom teachers need to provide tier 2 intervention to kids not up to benchmark, every day. That means I really will not be seeing any other of my students in small group. Of course, I gave my take on keeping the developmental piece in kindergarten, etc. I think certain administrators did not like it. The worst was that some that work with kindergarteners seemed to be buying into this. I know there are many K teachers who have it a lot worse than I do. I make great money, good benefits- how do you all handle this?

Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Of course you are not crazy! Everyone who is telling us what we should be doing in kinder has no idea what is appropriate for their age or development. Not to mention that many kinder teachers haven't even had any early childhood training. It's disheartening and discouraging and frustrating. And nobody seems to take into account that all of the research on physical fitness, recess, etc. show how beneficial it is on student learning.

I am extremely lucky that I work in a school that supports kinder for what it should be. We have a lot of freedom within our classrooms, and there is designated time every week for p.e., music, drama, and free choice play (not to mention 3 recesses every day). I can't imagine being told I need to drill drill drill all day. But you know, if I was told that, I would probably nod my head and shut my door and continue teaching the way that I know is best for my kiddos. That's what I did in my old school and you know what? My kid's scores were as good or better than all of the other classrooms.

The funniest thing I see in your post is the reading expert telling you that your scores need to be up by the end of the year. Ummm... yeah. Of course they do. Isn't that everyone's goal - to get scores and learning up from this point in the year until the end?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

And they do!!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is, the scores go up. They always do because kinders are sponges. The growth is a given.

But I think what we're all thinking and what we KNOW is that the kiddos respond and grow best when we build community, have fun and honor their five-ness. Ha!

I've been teaching full time kinder for six years now. I have also taught 1/2 day, all day/alternate day kdgn and first grade. LOVE full day. There is plenty of time for play and fine arts/PE and recess. My kids are HAPPY and willing to learn because we're having fun.

Sbkanga said it right...nod your head, close your door and teach the way you know is right.

MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Granny212

You are not crazy
Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I struggle with the same thing. We are not teaching in a developmentally appropriate way. Some days I feel like the only thing I have accomplished is making my students hate school. I agree that some of the teachers seem to buy into the drill and kill and the administration sides with them. It's very frustrating. I am trying to get up the nerve to shut my door and teach in a way that I know is right!
Granny212 is offline   Reply With Quote