Help

BusyBoard

Please share what makes you teacher of the year

>

sparklinteach

Please share what makes you teacher of the year
Old 06-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

You know those teachers that everyone envies? The ones who get all the parent requests, principal and district office "pets", teacher-of-the-year, etc. Please share your secret. Do you (or they) do special activities with your students that make you stand out in a positive way? What makes these teachers so unique?

sparklinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know one who is often teacher of the year (and it's not me!). She does the following (I used to work with her for just one year): friends with all the parents, cute, outgoing, wears clothes that show a little too much, married to someone successful, she has always been that popular person (even in high school), cutesy stuff in her room, goes to students' extracurricular activities.

I've never heard of her doing anything special in her classroom that's going above and beyond in regards to her teaching.

Also, I've noticed in my district that the teachers who get these awards work at schools with a higher socioeconomic status. The parents are "in tune" to these nominations and will nominate teachers. At schools like mine it can be pretty rare to get nominated. Not because we aren't good teachers, our families are just less aware of these types of things. It's pretty obvious when the list of nominees comes out.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

asica

Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a preschool teacher so we do not get those awards but I worked with a teacher that was liked by parents. I believe she knew how to talk to them and she did not say anything negative about the children to them. I did not like that she was disorganized and in my opinion she was an ok teacher. I think sometimes it is just the person's personality. She also saw the kids outside the work and she is pretty.
asica is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

We have two teachers that get
Old 06-06-2014, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

all the requests.

1. They friend all the parents on FB and comment on all their happenings.
2. They pick a few they really like and socialize with them after school....like go for ice cream or dinner(girls only) etc.
3. They are both married to successful lawyers.
4.They wear new clothing almost every day of the week.

Also.....they secretly tell children to tell their parents to request them for next year. So.....they scope out the the "good" kids and then tell them when they are on duty outside where no one notices or sometimes in the hallway when they think no one is looking.

Last year one 2nd grade teacher had 10 requests, the other one had none. The second one ended up with the class from HE**
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I see similar things as the previous posters. Those teachers don't do special activities, and they don't work harder than anyone else (sometimes they put in the least amount of time). They socialize with parents outside of school and chat them up in school. They allow their students extra recess and indoor play time. They don't hold their students to high expectations either behaviorally or academically, and they don't enforce school rules.

Either that or they are male.

That's my experience.

CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Logicat

teacher recognition
Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree w/ PP- perky personality and sucking up to parents/admin. Also, these teachers tend to do "high-profile" projects that are fun for the kids and look impressive to an outside observer, but are not an effective use of instructional time, and often are not relevant to the curriculum at all. The people who give these awards and make the requests have no idea what actually goes on in a teacher's room on a day-to-day basis-- and they don't care.
Logicat is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 06-06-2014, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No parent requests allowed at our school. The actual TOY at our school is nothing like what the pps have described. The faculty votes for our TOY. Ours is hard working and no nonsense, firm and fair. The kids respect her as do their parents and administration. She does think outside the box with activities for her students. She doesn't do FB, she spends her free time with her family and a few long time friends. She is truly a high quality teacher. Sadly, she is leaving the classroom and I am taking her place. She is a hard act to follow.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

the cynic..
Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Okay...we dont do TOY at my school, but DD's does.

Must be cute/and or not above a size 6. My kid has been there 5 years, none of the older teachers have ever won.

Overshare with parents on Facebook and Twitter.

A big decorated room that a would send most ASD kids into orbit. Last years winner (4th grade) had a Hello Kitty class room. PINK! Crap hanging off the ceiling tiles. It looked like a studio apartment for a diva tween girl with $$$$$. She barely had any boys in her class, so I guess the boys had to tune out Miffy and her friends.

You recruit kids for next year. Why should you get the ADD/ADHD/ODD/ASD or the train wreck families? You dont have time for IEPs or 504s. Screw that. The other two classes were like Lord of the Flies. The principal caved to the parents wanting Ms.Hello Kitty.

You are a BFF of the principal, and it doesn't hurt your family and her's go decades back.

This woman should have worked in PR or sales. She was that smooth schmoozing and glad handing parents. The suck part came when the kids moved on, they were really behind.

In short, at DD's school, you actively campaign for it through the parents and students voting.

This year the extra perky, 22 year old kindergarten teacher won it. She is a BFF of the new principal. Ms. Hello Kitty boomed out of there when the old principal retired, and had no place to run too. She married her lawyer/politician boy friend last year.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Totally agree with Logicat...
Old 06-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is exactly how it is at my school.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

teacher of the year
Old 06-06-2014, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Just a popularity contest at my school, or the principal picks someone who has been there a 100 years and never got it.

needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Teacher of the year vs popular teacher
Old 06-06-2014, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In our school, it's two separate things. Our teacher of the year is usually someone who has gone outside the bounds of his/her job to do something that benefits the whole school. For example, last year our TOTY organized our first ever Read a Thon fundraiser and made over 7000$ for the school. The year i got it (several years ago) I wrote a grant for $1500 that helped us create a science lab. One TOTY started our Science Olympiad team. It's totally different from being just the popular teacher.
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

ritabook2

teacher of the year
Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is so different from where I work! The teachers are the ones who nominate and vote for the TOY, so sucking up to parents and/or admin would not help. The ones that get nominated are usually very outgoing teachers and they also usually do things that are above and beyond and that's why the other teachers notice them. They show up to all the extra-curricular activities, pitch in and help others on their teams and throughout the school and are well-liked on a personal level. I've seen them be young, old and in between. They have also been all different sizes and shapes, but all have been hard-working teachers. It makes me sad to see that it's nothing like that in other places.
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

TOY,an acronym for a reason, is earned in our district through promoting oneself . A TOY does parent and student marketing . Teacher of the Year has nothing to do with actual teaching ability.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

OmahaTeacher

wow
Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

These responses make me sad. We do have TOY at my school. It's someone who was nominated by parents who write letters to our board of ed. This year's winner was truly deserving. My son had her 2 years ago when he was in her grade. Basically whatever class's parents decide to go on a letter-writing crusade gets that teacher nominated. Last year my son's preschool teacher was leaving and I got an e-mail from the other preschool teacher to write letters to get her TOY. It worked. She was a great teacher, but you'll never be recognized if you don't have an outspoken parent willing to rally up the parents to write letters on your behalf.
OmahaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Toy
Old 06-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We are nominated by teachers from our own school. There is then a rigorous application process which requires hours to prepare. Then it goes to a committee who screen the apps and make the selections. This is not a popularity contest at all. It is handled by an outside organization, not the school district. The district winner represents us at the state level for Macy's teacher of the year.

WE do have "popular" teachers: young, cute, outgoing, etc. These teachers are never nominated for teacher of the year. Other teachers know who the effective teachers are.

We do not allow any parent requests for teachers. Students are placed by the current teachers and administration based on specific needs, test data, IEP's, etc.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

I teach K!

In our district
Old 06-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

In our district it is not a popularity contest. A teacher from our school just was awarded TOY of the district and will go on to compete for the state TOY. In order to receive this honor their were essays, interviews, videotaping of instruction, etc. Our school is a Title I school with more than 90% of students qualifying for free and reduced meals and a high percentage of English Language Learners. She is well liked by staff, administration, and parents because she does what is right for kids. She works with families to help them understand the education system and supports their children. She provides support and professional development to staff. She volunteers for many events not because she wants recognition but because she enjoys the connections she is able to make with staff members, families, and students.

We were so excited to surprise her with her honor because we know that she truly deserves it and will be a great spokesperson for our school.
I teach K! is offline   Reply With Quote