Just accepted a new job and worried it won't be available next year.. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Just accepted a new job and worried it won't be available next year..

>

spunkystuff

Just accepted a new job and worried it won't be available next year..
Old 08-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I had two job offers and was delighted to accept a teaching position at a school I really liked. However now that I'm getting my feet wet I've discovered that this is the first time they've had a 3rd section of the grade level I'm teaching and that they had to fight to get it. I'm worried that I won't have a job next year if enrollment is low, as there are only two sections of the grade level before me. This was not disclosed to me when I accepted. Has this happened to any of you? Did you end up having a job the following year? Should I be worried? Thank you for your insights!

spunkystuff is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-14-2014, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It could be possible that they would move somebody up. If numbers stay about the same will they need another teacher in the grade level after you?
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

rhapsody

Why worry about it?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1) You've already accepted the position and began working. 2) Worrying about next year is not going to do any good for you this year. 3) In truth, no (very few) have a guaranteed position for next year.
rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Plus, if you have 3 sections of this grade level, they may very well need 3 sections of the next grade level. Don't worry about it now. Enjoy the year and what will happen will happen. If you spend all year worrying you won't enjoy the year (trust me, I've done it and then I've kicked myself for it in June).
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have worked in schools where teachers have been shuffled around to new grade levels that need them. Teacher Jones works in third grade with five other teachers, but the enrollment in that grade level the following year doesn't warrant having her in third grade. She is moved to second grade, which suddenly has the largest class in the school.

I wouldn't worry a lot about that. If you are really an outstanding teacher,they won't want to get rid of you!

Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was in that position my first four years. I was pink slipped every year, but rehired before the end of the summer. It was never the same job, but in the same district.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is it a smaller or larger district? I'm in a large district and even though from time to time a person may get destaffed, they just get a position in another building.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

The same person may not move
Old 08-14-2014, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my old district, we often had "bubbles" of students. The "extra" teacher is not necessarily the same one to keep moving.

Just embrace this year!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 08-14-2014, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was in this situation once and the district did end up eliminating a teacher at that school because the following year had lower enrollment. The district kept me and moved me to a different school, different grade level. I did not have to interview or apply for the other spot, since I was still an employee of the district. They just told me that I'd be moving schools.

The school I'm currently at has had several bubbles move through, and they have never eliminated any positions, but it does mean that every year there are people who end up changing grade levels. Sometimes they want to change grade levels, sometimes they don't, but at least people have kept their jobs and did not need to move schools.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm sure that feels stressful right off the bat, but there is nothing to be done about possibilities that haven't come true yet. Just do the best job you can and have a great year. The chips will fall where they fall, whether or not you spend time worrying about them. Hopefully you will be indispensable and they will find a place for you if your job gets terminated

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 08-14-2014, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was in your position in 2000. I have moved around a few times as needed but have always been rehired. Hang in there and have a great school year!
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote