Help

BusyBoard

What technology do you use?

>

Hifiman

What technology do you use?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm really into techie stuff and I'm always looking for more. Many of you must be the same way so I'm curious how you use technology in your class to see if you have some ideas I could pursue.

This summer I bought a decent set of largish bookshelf speakers for my classroom. I use them with an audio receiver the school has in each class, which surprisingly enough is not bad at all. I bought a bluetooth receiver to connect to that so I can wirelessly connect my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook to the speakers to play music or sound for videos.

My Macbook connects to an ancient LCD projector. This year all my lectures are in Keynote instead of PowerPoint because I can wirelessly connect my iPhone and iPad to Keynote to control the presentation as well as see the next slide coming up, use my finger as a laser pointer and also to temporarily highlight text or add wording, etc.

This year I'm also using Doceri for some classwork. It allows me to walk around with my iPad and use it as a smart board, which is really handy as I can keep my proximity to the more emotionally stunted students.

And finally this Tuesday I will use my iPhone as a walking document camera to show students things around the room projected on the LCD through my Macbook. I've actually already tried this once before using it to show everyone an example of student work as I walked around the class. On Tuesday I plan on having a trustworthy student in each class hold my phone and take care of the camera work as I do a convection demo.

If I could just figure out a way to get my XBOX One in on the action teaching would be great.

It'd be better yet if it wasn't for the students.

Hifiman is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I could afford it, I'd have a lot more electronics stuff. Currently, I just have:

XBox 360...& just recently got that within the last year
Fairly new desktop & laptop
iPad
VCR/DVD combo player
DVD player
Olympus Digital Camera
Nook
Flat screen HDTV
Samsung Android Phone...just to talk & text...not to access the net/email
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I'm not nearly as clever as you
Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but we have computers, promethean boards, LCD projectors, document cameras and iPads. We had Apple TV, but our tech people decided that was out, and they took all of the apple TVs out this summer and replaced them with Airtime. It's supposed to be easier to mirror than Apple TV, but they haven't demonstrated how to use it yet. We use our promethean boards for powerpoints, Prezi, Keynote and other presentation software. I am learning new stuff every day, and I love technology. Teaching has sure changed in the last decade. I just think it's so much fun to use all of the technology that is available.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Thanks...
Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You have to make me jealous??? I already am jealous of a teacher in Modesto who moved grades so his entire class could have ipads....

Actually thanks to Donor's choose I just received new tech (iPad Mini). I can check out an iPad from the office but won't bring my personal iPad or iPhone onto school networks.... I have a hard time using it in my classroom because my P actually said she didn't like Powerpoint at one point (now she uses it so I guess she wouldn't say that again). We have the capability of hooking up our Macbooks to the LCD projectors which I usually do and I REALLY want to use Doceri, I just haven't quite figured out how....As in what to use it for. Sigh. Maybe after I get more used to 4th grade and used to this class I will have some time for that...
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Dawn

Not as much as you use...
Old 08-31-2014, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have all my illustrated lectures on Prezi. We all have Apple TV's attached to our projectors so I show my prezis on my iPad and can walk around the room while I talk instead of being anchored to my Smart Board like before.

I have an ancient Elmo document camera that I bought myself on eBay 8 years ago. It does the job for showing the kids what to write on their pages etc..guided notes. (I do interactive notebooks.) I don't know how I could make that more mobile but it would be nice.

At a seminar this summer someone showed me an app called Notability & says he uses it all the time in teaching. It's pretty cool & if I could have a classroom set of iPads I could envision my students doing all their notes digitally...that's a dream right now though.

I have a pretty good set of speakers from the school but I really want to do the blue tooth like you're doing. So tired of wires, and all my music is on my phone or on iTunes. Can you share what type you bought? My husband is the tech person in our family so if I can tell him what you bought, he will be able to make it happen for me.

Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Neat stuff!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I looked into using Doceri for my iPad on my smart board, but I don't recall why I didn't/couldn't. I'll have to check that out again.

Finally all of the classrooms have document cameras and a projector, and those little iMacs that look like a little box so you can use the internet with the projector. I got a smart board through donors choose, so I am the only grade 1 classroom to have one, since technology starts at the top and trickles down. Supposedly all classrooms will have one within the next few years. I also have a document camera. There is a computer lab that I go to, and there is a set of laptops we can sign out, but those get booked by classes that don't go to the lab due to scheduling, or by whoever gets there first. There are 2 computers in my room. The one I use for my plans that is on my desk, and the one hooked up to the smart board. I am also the only one to have Kindle Fires- I got 3 through DC. I wasn't allowed to ask for iPads since those are being used as a pilot for grade 6. Tech is very controlling over what we can have, even if it doesn't cost the district anything.

I think that's it. Not bad, but most of it I got from DC.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-31-2014, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

• SmartBoard
  • projector
  • television with cable
  • DVD/VCR combo
  • speaker system with microphones
  • student responders
  • 2 desktop computers
  • 2 laptop computers
  • access to 30 iPads
  • access to three computer labs
  • wireless slate
  • document camera
  • digital camera
  • digital video camera
  • WiFi
  • wireless speakers
  • a bunch of online resources
  • phone
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-31-2014, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my district only the MS and HS get the new technology. Our MS and HS students have newer laptops than our Elementary teachers!

*One Smartboard for the whole elementary school.
* 2 lap top carts - not enough lap tops in each cart for a whole class to use.
* 1/2 the teachers have LCD projectors, but were told once the bulb goes they are not being replaced.

~ Our district will not allow us to go to Donor's Choose to ask for technology stuff anymore either.

Oh, the Tech Team put a flatscreen TV with Apple TV in one of the second grade classrooms so that the teacher can try it out. Too bad her school laptop is too old to use with Apple TV and second grade teachers are not getting new lap tops until next year. And the one IPad that belongs to the school is a TIF IPad, so it is locked down and you can only use RANDA on it!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Dawn
Old 08-31-2014, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here is the link for the bluetooth adapter. It works very well and Best Buy often knocks it down by $10 every couple of weeks.

Hifiman

Ima
Old 08-31-2014, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the reminder about the student responders. I know we have those somewhere on campus and I keep meaning to make use of them.

bronxgirl75

Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Every teacher has a laptop, iPad, and promethean boards. K-8 are iPads. 9-12 levano think pads. I also have 5 computers, and Apple TV. In the building (middle school) we have 2 full desk top labs, plus 3 mobile laptop carts. Each class also has a class set of keyboards for the laptop. And I get to teach the iPad classes in addition to my resource rooms. Love it
bronxgirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

I'm envious of those of you who have
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

so much provided by your school. The only thing my school provides is one teacher desktop, which is so ancient I refuse to use it anymore, and an LCD projector and stereo receiver. Even the speakers the school provides have all been blown out long ago.

ecsmom

Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our school provides, a Smart Board in each classroom as well as document camera, speakers, TV with DVD players, we aren't supposed to use the Smart Boards for showing any kind of video that can be played on the TV.
I also have 4 desk top student computers, 5 IPads and 4 Kindles. My best investment has been a wireless mouse. I can use it on the Smart Board from anywhere in the room.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wow, Hifi, you do so much for being provided with so little!

We have staff macbook pros, document cameras, projectors, and then all students have tablets and laptops, as well. This is very new for us, so it is hard to figure out how to use it effectively. I'm excited to get to the point where I am comfortable using it with my whole classroom. I know it can make my life easier and my teaching better...but getting to that point is challenging.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

Wow
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Some of you have so much! I'm thankful for everything that we have, but I can't help being upset that SO many kids in less fortunate areas have none of these things
So I have (provided by district):
Apple TV
iPad
Document camera
Two desktop computers (one for me- one for kids)

Provided by me:
Additional iPad
Laptop
Speakers

I use the iPad a lot with mirroring. I mostly use an app called Educreations which is an interactive whiteboard. I like that I can use the camera on my iPad to take pictures of documents, then write on them. I also use Slideshark for power points with my iPad. I'm frustrated because our district just transitioned to My Math (NOT loving it so far!) and the lessons are all in presentation mode, but not viewable on an iPad. I like to move around the kids- not be stuck to a desktop! I feel VERY fortunate to have technology available though!
illinoisteach is online now   Reply With Quote

dchawk82

Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Mimio
Mounted projector
iPad
Chromebook (we're 1:1 with the kids)
Regular Dell laptop
dchawk82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Our school is all over the place - we can't be the only ones! We finally got a projector and document camera that work together last year and started using it. Also got an ipad last year, but mostly our pull-out RTI teacher used it. We now have 3 thanks to a local grant so are hoping to use them a bit more. Our computers were so old we got rid of them, as was the big old tv and vcr.

The upper grades all have big flat screens, most classes have an apple tv (not me), all teachers have laptops of varying ages. Upper grades are almost at 1:1 ipads but not lower. A couple lower grades have 10 or so ipads (donated by parents). We have a lovely computer lab with enough computers for a class plus some.

I use very little technology in my classroom. But I'm in kinder and feel like they really don't need it. They need to learn how to interact and work together!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-31-2014, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We are Preschool-Grade 1 school. Each classroom has:
  • Smartboard
  • 1 desktop computer (for teacher/Smartboard)
  • Hovercam (document camera-I've had mine for a year. Rest of the school is getting one this year.)
  • 2 iPads for students (Brand new this year-switched out 2 old laptops)
  • access to iPad cart, but only Title 1 students may use the iPads because the iPads were purchased with Title 1 monies
  • access to iPad for ELL students (again, only ELL students may use because purchased with those funds)

I also have:
  • one very old listening center for CDs/books, cassettes/books
  • one cassette player for cassettes/books
  • mp3 player (I am bringing this in this year. It used to be my husband's)
  • digital camera (my old one)
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote