Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Freezer cooking recipes

>

PEPteach

Freezer cooking recipes
Old 12-27-2014, 07:10 AM

I want to prepare some freezer meals over break to make things easier when I go back to school. What are some of your favorite freezer meals?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

My SIL
Old 12-27-2014, 07:27 AM

recommends Lasagna as a good option. She makes a huge batch and puts hers in many square pans for meals to share with friends who are under the weather. She makes small plastic (ziploc) boxes for single servings to take for a lunch or as a quick supper along with a salad after she subs for instance. She is a widow. I like to make meatloaf. My MIL used to make hers into smaller loaves and freeze them for single dinners. She was a widow too.
I recently went to a Pampered Chef party that was all about make-ahead freezer meals. We made French Dip beef roasts for sandwiches. We also made Mexican Black Bean Casserole, Fettuccine Alfredo, and South-of-the-Border Meatloaf. I shared two of my meals with my parents as part of their Christmas gift this year. It was perfect because these meals were supposed to be for 8 servings, I think? The recipe made 2 of the meatloaves, for instance.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 AM

I found great ideas on Skinnytaste.com. The broccoli Mac and cheese casserole is fantastic, filling and feeds a lot. I also really like the turkey meatball soup (especially with warm, crusty bread). Truthfully I haven't had anything bad from her site. I also like the tuna casserole but I know not everyone does.

I love it because it's healthy food that doesn't TASTE healthy if that makes sense.

I highly recommend it. I actually have Mac and cheese and soup frozen right now.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Soups!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:01 AM

When you get tired of pasta, soup is a great lighter alternative. I love pasta but also love to make lots of hearty soups and freeze them all. They are economical and healthy!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

What I did yesterday
Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 AM

I made chicken vegetable soup and chili and froze them in individual serving containers. I also had leftover French toast casserole that I divided up and froze.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 AM

My family loves enchilada chicken. So easy. Put chicken, enchilada sauce ( I buy canned), cilantro and frozen corn in a ziplock gallon bag. When I am ready I throw it in the crockpot and it is ready when I get home.

Also lime cilantro chicken is good. I find my recipes on Pinterest.
rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-27-2014, 10:40 AM

Almost any casserole works well. Meatloaf, lasagna, enchiladas, stuffed pasta shells, baked mac n cheese, chicken soup, twice baked potatoes (use 8oz each of cream cheese and sour cream for every five pounds of mashed potatoes to make it freezer friendly).

I also make a big crockpot of shredded meat - BBQ pork, mango salsa pork, shredded chicken, pot roast, etc. - and freeze it in individual meal portions. Then it is easy to take out and sprinkle on top of a salad, have a sandwich, mix with chili beans, wrap in a tortilla with cheese and rice, or pair with starch and veggie.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 12-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Soups and chili freeze really well. I like to make quick breads to take for snacks. I even slide them and put small slips of wax paper between the slices.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM

• meatloaf in muffin tins- easier to thaw and portion out
  • chili
  • beef stroganoff- sauce only- all you have to is cook noodles or rice
  • roll a ton of meatballs and bake them on a cookie sheet and freeze in bags- add sauce later for subs or spaghetti
  • cut bell peppers, onions, and (uncooked) chicken breasts into strips- instant stir fry or pasta "kit"
  • lasagna
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

jcole25857

Doing it now!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:29 PM

I have made meatballs and lasagna so far today. I am starting on meatloaf now. After that I will brown and season meat for tacos and spaghetti. Last thing today will be pot roast and stew. Tomorrow will be chicken meals. I will make fajitas, veggie soup, pot pies and chicken stuffed shells. I am hoping I won't have to do much grocery shopping until mid- February. If all I have to get is fresh fruit and dairy items I will be thrilled.

jcole25857 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 12-27-2014, 12:32 PM

Thanks! These are all fabulous ideas. I need to start organizing them and making my shopping list! Trying to stay lower carb, so don't want to make too many pasta dishes.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

daljcl

Old 12-27-2014, 02:11 PM

30daygourmet.com has lots of good ideas. I have had their cookbook for 17 ears, I go it when my twins were born.
daljcl is offline   Reply With Quote