Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

A child touched my elf today....

>

missvicki77

A child touched my elf today....
Old 12-02-2015, 03:35 PM

In 4 years my elf has NEVER been touched.....

I am now teaching 4th (moved this year unwillingly), so I was hesitant to do it, because I knew they were older. However, several of my kids were asking if I had an elf come to my class. So..... I dug out the elf. This afternoon, a child that has made it VERY known about how much he hates my classroom, how much he dislikes me and my teaching, how much he wants to be moved from my classroom, actually TOUCHED the elf!!

I know it seems silly to be upset, but seriously -- I've NEVER had to worry about what happens when the elf gets touched!!!! I'm so upset.... I know the elf is pretty much mostly about me at this age.... but still!!!

missvicki77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Well, I teach 5th and I assume anything in my room will be touched. I am amazed if you have gone years without someone touching it. No elves for me. I'm just not that festive.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

annalilbit

Upset
Old 12-02-2015, 04:17 PM

I would be upset-- There is a letter on pinterest if the elf is touched and what to do.

But,

I would have him write a letter of apology to your class elf one that would be fill in the blank to keep him honest.

MY Version of the apology

Dear Elf,

I am sorry that I went against the rules and touched you because_______(I meant to disobey, it was an accident, I was dared to do it). You are a fun addition to our classroom . Although I may not be positive of such things as elf magic, I need to follow all rules Miss Vicki has in our classroom.
My other classmates are disappointed that I broke the rules. I feel that my consequence besides my letter to should include ______(recess detention, an apology to the class and Miss Vicki, or afterschool detention.

Yours truly,

Focus on breaking the rules, rather than the elf magic. My two cents.
annalilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

I am not
Old 12-02-2015, 04:46 PM

elf literate. So, I need to ask, what happens if someone touches the elf? Why can't someone touch the elf?

How do you do elf on the shelf with scrappy little skeptical kids in the room? Don't one or two of the kids just question this elf magic stuff? I always seemed to have at least one child that didn't like magic or make believe. They didn't want to ruin things for others, they just weren't having it. When kids came into the room with stories of leprechauns or tigers in the bathrooms, they just shrugged and said, I don't think that happened. No one does that with the elf?

As I said I never did elf with kids. I did do the elf in the teacher's room with the adults, and he was b-a-d!

*I just read a previous post about writing an apology to the class with a consequence. In today's facebook rants I think you should think hard about the letter idea. I am not saying it is wrong, but if it isn't in line with your response to every other infraction of breaking a classroom rule then you need to think before doing it. Especially if you do the public apology to the class. How could a kid do that with a straight face? It may end up with the whole class giggling. Just a thought.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

dellminiwhite

elf
Old 12-02-2015, 04:46 PM

The elf made an appearance today...I teach the younger kiddos. many of them knew not to touch the elf, however I noticed one or two could not resist.....most were just starring at the elf. We named him or her Mille, this is what the kiddos voted on.

dellminiwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

missvicki77

I taught 2nd before....
Old 12-02-2015, 05:03 PM

and my 4th graders were asking if I were going to do it.... if they DONT believe, they haven't let on. They are pretty excited to see what shes been up to! The kid that touched him has been pretty vocal about how much he dislikes me, my classroom, and how much he doesn't like being taught by me.

I guess they like believing (even if they DONT believe -- they are just playing along).

I am going to make him write a note of apology...... I think that's only right....

annalilbit

Letter of apology
Old 12-02-2015, 05:09 PM

It may seem harsh but it is for breaking rules not touching the elf. And the perp picks his consequence. Maybe I am over the top, but tired of kids who feel rules do not apply and parents that support it.
annalilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I've NEVER had to worry about what happens when the elf gets touched!!!!
I'm confused. What happens when the elf gets touched?

I don't like deceiving kids who aren't my own, so I've never done an elf, leprechaun, etc. I know little to nothing about the elf, other than my students are constantly telling me silly stories about what their (home) elf is up to. I have to say, it is getting old because I have 24 kids and probably 20 of them have an elf at home! Geesh! It takes forever listening to their stories and inevitably, I have to cut them off, so many don't get heard, which makes them sad. Ugh. Sometimes I wish that silly elf and his antics had never been invented!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 12-02-2015, 06:21 PM

eliza4one,
Start a classroom journal. I am not sure what grade you teach but have the kids write (or draw a picture) about their elf's antics. That way they get to share, you don't have to hear all the stories, AND they get practice writing. WIN - WIN - WIN!!
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Touched?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Be happy he didn't rip the head off. That happened to the 5th grade teacher during indoor recess last year.

The head with sharpie Xs on the eyes

On a ruler.

In the fern plant in the back of the room.

If you want any apology it should be hands off your stuff.

I get the kid is a pill, but you ramping it about about him touching The Elf....it's 4th grade.

The kid is a "charmer", and is working on your last good nerve.

He should keep his hands off your stuff, and learn boundaries.

I would not die on Elf Hill.

Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 12-02-2015, 07:09 PM

I'm not familiar with "elf rules" so I don't understand how bad it is to touch the elf. I will tell you that my 4th graders touch EVERYTHING that isn't in my little desk corner. I don't think they are being bad, I just think they feel at home in my classroom.

We used to do something similar on Halloween with an imaginary something or other watching us. We would pull pranks on the kids. I think there were a few who actually believed, but I think most just played along because it was fun!
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

LonghornKate

Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 PM

Is it possible your frustration has more to do with WHO touched your elf (I swear, I thought this was a code word at first. I thought this was going to be a TMI post.) rather than it being touched, period? You seem really upset by this kid - and probably understandably, as he sounds rude - but...is it worth the big production of a letter and such? I get that you did it for fun, and I guess he ruined it (I don't know the elf rules, but it sounds like the jig is ruined...?), but do you want to devote any more of your energy to dealing with that? would you want to have to explain to his mom that he had to write a letter of apology for touching an elf? I don't know. Obviously it's important to you, so you should do what feels right, but it might be worth it to just let it go.
LonghornKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Barbie Doll

Old 12-02-2015, 07:48 PM

One year as I taught first grade one of the children touched the elf. The other children went crazy. When they went home that day, I removed the elf and left a note from the North Pole saying they had to come get "Chippy" and he was now at the North Pole infirmary. For several days we wrote back and forth to the infirmary and made get well cards for our elf. We also wrote a "class" apology letter and asked him to come back. The children were so excited when the elf "got better" and was able to come back, no one dared to touch him again.
Barbie Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

missvicki77

Longhorn Kate.... I get what you are saying..
Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 PM

And I probably am coming across that way. He really has been a pickle since I was switched to 4th grade on day 18 into the school year. However, I thought we had come to an agreement. He was working nicely for me. When I asked him why he did it, he told me he did it, simply because he wanted to because he wanted to prove that the elf wasn't real.

I'm not going to end up making him write an apology note (he wouldn't do it anyway). I've already created an IV drip bag and a hospital gown.... over the top -- maybe. However, I have 20/27 that are TOTALLY into it that look forward to seeing what she's going to do every day. The other 7 are a little harder to read...

I"m not a TOTALLY witch so I'm not going to be manipulative or mean.... as much as I might want to be.

jcole25857

Same thing
Old 12-03-2015, 05:47 PM

happen to me when I was teaching 4th grade. Student X just couldn't keep his hands to himself and loved to rile the others. I had the elf spill a bucket of hundreds blocks plus other things and used the blocks to spell out, "Student X did this." I had to elf sitting right there in the middle of the mess. Student X never touched the elf again. I did have a pretty good relationship with the student.
jcole25857 is offline   Reply With Quote

missvicki77

Elf was touched -- response
Old 12-03-2015, 06:51 PM

Okay.... so you guys gave advice and here's how I responded. I know some thought I was responding because of how the child who did it was behaving. Believe me -- I was the "bigger" adult and didn't simply react because of him.

I looked through Pinterest, found some ideas and went with it. I'm kinda "proud of myself"..... I think this idea is pretty cute and the children were DEFINITELY reassured that Snowflake was getting the care she needing since she was getting IV treatments with glitter straight from the North Pole!!!

Last edited by missvicki77; 12-03-2015 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: spelling

missvicki77

Here's her picture in her hospital bed
Old 12-03-2015, 06:51 PM

My students from last year were VERY concerned and were relieved she was getting treatment....
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

missvicki77

Then Gladice the Head Elf had to send a note
Old 12-03-2015, 06:54 PM

Warning us to NEVER do this again....

The kids all even TURNED to the culprit and said "don't you EVER go near the elf again!!!!!:"
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

funkster

ooooooo!
Old 12-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Touching the elf makes it impossible for the elf to go back to the North Pole to report!?!

I see a junior SWAT team forming to end that little tattletale's endless informing on the class to Santa! What is she an informant? In my time we used to call those who did that RAT FINKS, and there were people who rubbed them out. Little she elf may find herself cuddled up with Jimmy Hoffa, where ever he may be, rather than recuperating in a hospital bed.

Sorry, it's Friday and had a glass of wine and just can't be serious about this. I spent too much time saying, "if it didn't hurt someone's body or feelings you DON'T tell. Little elf is too much like my first graders with the endless judging of others and reporting.

Seriously, I think the most of the kids enjoy this, even though I am sure some don't believe.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-04-2015, 04:58 PM

Mi was a good kid, but that would be an invitation for me to touch...I would just have to see that if I didn't let anyone else know, what would happen? . I think I was a bit of a rebel even back in those days.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 AM

Is this for real??? I can't believe all this hoopla over an elf amd then the drama for touching it. I just don't get it!

Next thing you know we will have a monthly critter to keep kids in line.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote