Primary Grades (K-2)

Ideas for safe place?

>

ggsand

Ideas for safe place?
Old 08-02-2016, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!
I'm a fresh out of college second grade teacher. I'm very excited to get to meet my kids and I anticipate loving them very much.
My school is loosely following a conscience discipline way of maintaining a classroom, and one of the ideas that I loved the most was using a safe place. I have my safe place area set up, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on what kind of tools I can get for my students? I interned in a first grade class that used a safe place, but they had teddy bears and dolls and I'm not sure if I want to go that way because it might seem to juvenile. But I'm not sure!
What do you think? What are some places (like Walmart or something) that may sell tools designed to calm kids down? Or anything online? Would appreciate some help. Thanks!

ggsand is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about stress balls?
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

igaboo8

Calm Down Jar
Old 08-02-2016, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You should google calm down jars. It's just a jar or bottle with water and glitter glue. The idea is the jar gets shaken and once the glitter has settled to the bottom the child can rejoin the class/activity.
igaboo8 is offline   Reply With Quote

1stTeacherPF

Old 08-02-2016, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Stuffed animals aren't too juvenile for 2nd grade. My son just completed second and loves them still! Heck, I am 37 and love them! Another idea would be soft squishy stress balls to grip. Welcome to the world of teaching!
1stTeacherPF is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love these "hush bottles" I found a few years ago. Its sounds like what someone else mentioned with the glitter.

http://www.inlieuofpreschool.com/hus...down-solution/

I also like having music as an option. Music is a HUGE mood changer for me and I know it works for many kids, too. Set up an old ipod or even a (really) old Walkman with headphones.

Coloring books and crayons

And I don't think most second graders will think stuffed animals are too babyish.

ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Calming down
Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It depends on what stage of calming down they need. Just your general lets think about this, I agreed about the sparkle bottle. However if they are in a serious rage that might be another step later. If you have a full blow out, then deep breathing exercise is good for the student and teacher. Listening to the rain is a good one for the one that is on a low level. Good luck and welcome to "Changing the world " one life at time .
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Mammabear4

Quiet Corner
Old 08-10-2016, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I call this the quiet corner. I place two mats down and a bean bag. I don't put much else. I do have a pillow pet available and other huggable stuffed animals, but don't leave those out. I have a basket of fidgets available) I teach kindergarten, so I offer what I think each kid might need and then towards the end of the year add a basket of fidgets. This year I added an open book shelf, but haven't put any books.

Other items I have used in the past:
Angry towel to wipe away the angry emotions.
Time-timer some kids use the quiet corner for their breaks (not ideal, but I have a small room)
Mammabear4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I actually would avoid stuffed animals - but not because they're babyish, because of lice.

The calm down jars are fabulous! (But make sure to use plastic, not glass. If someone is upset enough, glass could end up broken.)

Stress balls can be ordered pretty reasonably from Oriental Trading. But it's even cheaper to make your own from balloons (if there are no latex allergies in your class). Experiment with sand, rice, cornstarch, etc.

I kind of like the idea of coloring pages or drawing paper too. But I'm not sure if that would be abused a bit, just to get out of classwork?
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Safe place
Old 08-12-2016, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How about a small white board and marker. They can scribble all over it while upset, then erase it as they start to calm down.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 08-12-2016, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my Peace Tent, I have a Calm Down jar, 2 or 3 stuffies, paper, crayons, 2 or 3 books about anger and emotions.

GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Australia
Old 08-13-2016, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I saw this somewhere on the internet (but I don't remember where) but...

This person read "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" and then designated "Australia" in the room. This was the safe place. What I specifically liked was that she printed and laminated 1-3 flags. The students knew the parameter (5 minutes or so, can't be a frequent flyer, etc) but if they needed that break - they would put the flag on their desk and go to the safe place. She may have even taught them to use the timer (again I wish I could remember where I saw it). Obviously this is a more proactive approach, if the child is mid-meltdown this might not work. I'm thinking of implementing this in my class this year.

** If anyone knows where this is on the web, can you please post the link?**
Thanks
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 08-15-2016, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If you have a social worker in your building, you may want to check with her/him to see if they have other recommendations as well. I know ours puts together items for us. Please don't think you have to do everything yourself since you are just beginning your career. There are resources available for you to use that may not require out of pocket expenses by you. Dollar stores are also great places to buy inexpensive items as well.

Congrats on your new position!

Last edited by Violets2; 08-15-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Old 08-30-2016, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was going to suggest the glitter bottle too. I've heard them called "fairy bottles"

I also think a couple teddies would be ok for 2nd.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

Not sure if this would be safe
Old 09-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

if the child was truly out of control, but a previous comment about listening to sounds of rain made me think of a rainstick. This one on Amazon is clear, so part of the calming effect might come from the visual as well as the sound:

https://smile.amazon.com/Bits-Pieces...ords=rainstick

Or you could make your own. Here is a how-to that will produce a pretty good sound. You can get the tubes free from fabric stores sometimes. Put the screws in a spiral around the tube, and make sure to wrap the entire thing in duct tape. I've made them before, and they hold up to some abuse. Experiment with the inside material for the best sound. The dried lentils will give you a nice soft sound, I think.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...own-Rainstick/

As to the stuffed toys, the second graders will still enjoy them. Kohl's has some great ones for just five dollars. My boys like a stuffed T-Rex, and a stuffed bumble bee for some reason--maybe it is the sort of football shape?

Good luck with your first teaching position. You will love second grade!
booklady57 is online now   Reply With Quote