Help

BusyBoard

Go Math questions

>

thruachild'sI

Go Math questions
Old 05-24-2017, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district just adopted Go Math. We are getting our teacher manuals before the end of school so we can review them ahead of time. Is there anything that I can prepare ahead of time? Tips on the structure? I have 4 other "new" programs to prepare for over the summer, so if I can get a jump start on this it would be great.

thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

varkgirl

Old 05-25-2017, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is one word problem in every lesson that is "harder" than the others and has a QR code looking thingy next to it that plays a "Math on the Spot" video. I have been STARTING my lesson every day with that problem like a "problem of the day." The kids solve it on whiteboards and then we talk about it, share strategies, and then watch the video. Then I send them off to do the rest of the problems on their own. This has helped SO MUCH with them getting "stuck" on the hard ones halfway through their work. (If you teach 3rd, I have all of these Math on the Spot problems in powerpoint form and could send them to you.)
varkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Mom of seven

Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach third grade with Go Math, but I am not familiar with Math on the Spot. Where exactly do I find this in the lessons? It sounds like something I would like to use. Thank you!
Mom of seven is offline   Reply With Quote

varkgirl

Old 05-25-2017, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In the FL common core edition there is a question in every lesson that has a corresponding video explaining how to solve it.

Here are the powerpoints I made: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...lVlZ3hzTmVfZWs

Last edited by varkgirl; 05-25-2017 at 06:20 PM..
varkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 05-26-2017, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you have access to the online materials? We have the 2015 Common Core edition. I can access the Math on the Spot videos when I log in to the Think Central site. In the hard copy of the teacher's manual, there is a Think Smarter question. In kindergarten there are four pages for each lesson. The Think Smarter question is found on the third page. There is also a QR code on that same page in the teacher's manual. You can scan that to get to the Math on the Spot video.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-27-2017, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

All I can say is "I'm sorry".

I gave Go Math a good solid year of trying to teach it how it was intended. It was the worst year I've ever had with math.

The next year I picked pieces of it to use and went back to some of my hands-on, engaging, tried and true lessons and activities. Ahhhh... back to enjoying math! I'd say I use about 20% of it.

Maybe other grade levels are different, but in K it is very worksheet driven and the way things are worded makes the concepts much more complicated than they need to be. And the tests - don't get me started on the horrible tests.

One thing that did help me was organizing corresponding manipulatives ahead of time so that they were easy to distribute.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

thruachild'sI

5th grade and had no say in it
Old 06-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We were given 2 to look at by the committee, the other one was absolutely horrible, can't even remember what it was called now. Didn't have any word problems and I still have no idea what order they were trying to go in. It mixed fractions with decimals and division. It was just crazy. Like someone threw the units in the air and how ever they landed thats how they were going to be taught.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but the more I look at it, I'm just not sure there is enough here for the kids to retain. I don't want to have to supplement everything like I have in the past 3 years (No textbook what so ever - go find what you need to teach and make sure you don't go over allotted copies
thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

woodstocktchr

Amazing resource
Old 06-07-2017, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What an amazing resource you shared with us! I wish I taught third grade. I would love to see if someone in second grade created something similar.
woodstocktchr is offline   Reply With Quote