Help

BusyBoard

help with writing

>

thruachild'sI

help with writing
Old 06-11-2017, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every year I tell myself I'm going to get a solid writing program down and every year it seems we fly by the seat of our pants for writing. Co-teachers announce "let's have the kids write a persuasive or about their vacation". I would really like to have a plan this year and have spent a good amount of time searching the internet. I have tons of "stuff" just no solid plan and I feel very overwhelmed!

Some sites say to quickly introduce the 6 traits and then move on to the types of writing such as narrative, technical, ect... Others say to spend time on each trait. I know it's important to establish an understanding of each trait, so I would like to spend time setting everything up and not rushing through them.

I also know I want to spend a lot of time on having the students look at other students writing and really peer edit and be able to recognize the traits. My students seem to read over things and go "Yep that looks great!" Then when I read it out loud to the class and there are words missing or sentences that don't even make sense they just look at me and still don't recognize what needs to be corrected.

How long is too long on each trait? I thought 4 weeks on ideas - generating ideas, working on seed ideas or narrowing the topics, and recognizing the main ideas in others writings. Too long?? Too short??

Please HELP!!! I don't want a repeat of the past few years. Seems like I should be able to get a handle on this. My students do a lot of writing and I do see improvement, but again it feels like I'm always just 1 day (if that) ahead of the game.

I teach 5th grade btw and only have a short time for writing/ELA - 30 minutes a day.

thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Writing
Old 06-11-2017, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't care for the six trait writing programs. I used a writers workshop model when I taught second grade, and it worked great.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

AmiSue

Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in the same position as you, only with 6th grade!

I keep hearing about writer's workshop but don't seem to have the time to fully incorporate it or else I don't understand it correctly. And, like you, don't know whether to focus on the 6-traits (and for how long) or to go with the types of writing!!

This past year, I worked more on the types of writing and used social studies topics so that I was working cross-curricular to make up for the lack of time for both subjects!

If anyone has a good plan that can be implemented in short amounts (about 30 min) of time 3-4 times per week, I am eager to see those plans!!!
AmiSue is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Favorite Writing Program From Whole Career
Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went to two different trainings by Empowering writers and they were a big help. Then I bought their book titled the essential guide for third grade and it became my writing Bible. Love this program! I became a better writer, better writing teacher and my students became better writers. It is expensive but it is worth the cost.

http://empoweringwriters.com/
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 06-11-2017, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You should look into Four Square writing.

okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 06-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It comes for different grade levels on Amazon.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

thruachild'sI

I've seen the 4 square writing
Old 06-13-2017, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

but does it have specific lesson plans or anything? Isn't it basically an organizer?
thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 06-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use Lucy Calkin's Writing Workshop model. It's amazing!
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou

Omg you sound *exactly* like me!!
Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I could have written this post Thruachild! I always feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to writing instruction, always just a day (if that) ahead of the game!! I only have (at the most) 30 mins a day for writing. I teach 3rd grade.

I'm searching for a solid plan like you are. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

Right now I'm looking at the Empowering Writers program...looks interesting but also expensive $199. I don't mind spending that kind of money if it's going to WORK. It looks really well planned out. Each lesson is all planned out and tells you what to do. I haven't read all the other comments so someone else may have already brought this up (or given reasons why they don't like it.)

EDITED TO ADD: Ok, so I went back and read the other posts...1956 posted that she uses Empowering Writers the Essential... that's exactly the one I was looking at buying,
PindleLou is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou

question for 1956
Old 07-15-2017, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi 1956! So with Empowering Writers can you do it with only 20 to 30 mins a day?

PindleLou is offline   Reply With Quote