Help

BusyBoard

daily journal prompts

>

thruachild'sI

daily journal prompts
Old 06-18-2017, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm still struggling with my writing plans. I want to incorporate a daily journal prompt just to get my students writing everyday. I'm struggling with how to present and when. I thought I could take the first 5 minutes of writing time, set a timer or a song, and put a prompt on my Smartboard. I have the Prompt A Day book from Scholastic that links the prompts to events that happened on a particular day. I also thought about rotating days and maybe incorporating a picture and having them write a caption, or a comic and writing the dialogue, or a story lead. I found a teacher that puts up a prompt every morning on her whiteboard - very artistically - but I really don't have time in the mornings to do that.

What do you think? Do you have students write everyday?

thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 06-18-2017, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I definitely have them write every day, but it is mostly incorporated into the subject areas. We do a LOT of writing in reading and science.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Writing
Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use the National Geographic photo of the day for inferences. I show the photo on my smartboard without the caption and they have to make inferences to write their own caption. It takes about 10 minutes each morning.

I did a quick search, and this website explains it pretty well
http://www.helloliteracy.com/2013/08...ring-with.html
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Great Picture Prompts on Pinterest
Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Try picture prompts each Friday for a change of pace. Some kids are really visual and the variety will from a written prompt will do them good.

Maybe give them a choice each day by saying they could continue to write from a previous prompt. Choices always help in my opinion.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/118993615133882816/
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

I've done it before
Old 06-18-2017, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My students did really well once we went over the expectations and they got used to the idea. 3 things I picked up:
1.) Especially for younger grades, you have to explicitly teach the difference between writing and drawing, set and enforce the expectation. It helps if you give them a proportionally short time to draw before or after (I always let the kids vote).
2.) This past year, students asked for me to post the prompt earlier in the day so they had time to let it gel before writing. Otherwise I had people who would sit and stare the whole time.
3.) Every Wednesday I allowed them time to freewrite/edit (so write whatever they want or add on). This cut down on "But I don't WANT to write this" or "I didn't FINISH!!!"

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-18-2017, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach K and use Squiggles for daily writing.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Journal writing
Old 06-19-2017, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In 4th, we write everyday during writing time AND across the curriculum. Not sure what grade level, but for older students, the time spent on only journal writing is not enough. They need to be writing narratives, reports, opinion pieces in 4th. We do occasional journal prompts when between bigger assignments. They enjoy time to write a shorter piece too.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote