Help

BusyBoard

purging files and books

>

thruachild'sI

purging files and books
Old 07-03-2017, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So a goal this summer is to get rid of old files and worksheets from previous schools and reclaim my spare bedroom. So far I've done pretty good. I've moved twice now and easily threw out documents that were specific to the school or guided curriculum. But now I'm struggling. I have things I'm not sure if I should throw away or keep.

An easy box to start with is my holiday box. At previous school we did activities for the entire week leading up to the holiday. I have units we created, rotation within classrooms, games, activities, worksheets, ect... At present school we are not allowed to do anything based on holidays due to the diversity of students. So do I throw all those papers away, keep for another time, keep just a few? I hate just trashing them because we put so much work into creating them, but I HATE the clutter! (I can't scan, do access to a scanner)

Math box: I pulled all worksheets that had to do specifically with old textbook, we will be using a different set. But what about all the supplemental worksheets I used, trash or keep?

ELA: This is another box that has my head spinning. We don't have a textbook or workbook for ELA. I have acquired several copies of worksheets for each unit. Should I just keep a few, keep all, trash all and look up as I need to?

Purchased books: So way back when I decided to become a teacher I started buying various books for various grade levels. I've given a lot of the books away, but I still have a lot taking up space. The new district moves teachers around all the time, so you never know when you might be moved to a different grade level. So do I hold on to those books or give them away and only keep the grade level I'm working with? Most were purchased at garage sales or a discount teacher store, so while each is not worth a lot, when you put them all together - it adds up. I thought about selling them to other teachers, but I just don't have the heart to sell, I'd just assume give because I'm always one of those struggling with $$.

Posters, Bulletin boards - again at previous school lots of BB based on activities, themes, had one up for each subject and what we were studying at the time. Current school wants to see student work only. Discard?

I've contacted some of the teachers at previous school to see if they want things but no one has responded and I want this stuff gone.

Help me reclaim my spare bedroom!!!

thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Decluttering
Old 07-03-2017, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Keep only what can't be replaced via on line sites.

Go through the files you want to keep, I.e. Holidays and make sure you keep only one copy of what you need. I discovered I had multiple copies of things.

Can you takes photos of projects you might need in the future as a Reminder of how to make them?

I would try to keep the books. They are an investment. Once you are in your room, can you bring them all there and leave them?

Dump the bulletin board stuff. New ones keep it fresh and you don't need it right now.

Math..wait til you see new program then decide what to keep.over the years I went through three math programs. I kept all manipulatives and started weeding out old and program specific worksheets. A lot of the newer programs don't give you much time to supplement.

I would keep the ESL materials since you have no program. But again, cull anything outdated.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 07-03-2017, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Did you know you can get an inexpensive or free scanner app for your smartphone? That might be the way to go on a lot of your paper resources. Scan the documents in (you can do multiple pages in a file) and save them in folders by subject. It will be a big job, but so worth it!
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Scan App
Old 07-03-2017, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Turbo scan is a free app which will save documents as pdf so you can printout when needed. Even if you buy a scanner to attach to your home computer, that would be a small price to pay to gain back all of your space in your spare bedroom.

Have a teacher yard sale and just put your best offer on items instead of prices. You may end up giving everything away, but maybe not. I would scan whet you must, but sell your units of study, the books, bulletin boards etc. Books get dried up and useable quickly. They also are outdated.

Let It Go!
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I second scanning things in to your computer. That way you'll have them if you want them, but you can get rid of the paper clutter. I would also keep books.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Simple Rule
Old 07-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've moved schools too and this advice really helped me...if it's not something that you LOVE/can't bear to part with...get rid of it. I know its sounds harsh, but a clutterfree classroom is worth it. My files are online so I do like to scan, but scanning bunch of stuff that you might never use is a waste of time. Almost everything is replaceable. Be brave. Just keep what you love. Good luck!
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 07-03-2017, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm with the scanning group. You should be able to buy a scanner for relatively inexpensively. I would keep a backup of the files on DropBox or a removable drive, just in case your computer crashes.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

thruachild'sI

its a purging kinda day!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Somedays are harder than others to get rid of stuff. I was definitely in the mood to get rid of stuff today. I went through and made sure I only had 1 copy first, then went back and asked myself: Did the students enjoy this? Was it helpful or just a time filler? Is it the best resource? Does it cover more than one standard? If the answer was no I pitched it. I also asked if it was online, if so I made a quick reference sheet and wrote down the name of the worksheet and website, if on worksheet. Pitched it as well. Now I can sort by topics and pull up if I need it.

I've invited 5 new teachers from local college to come look at other material and make an offer. I will probably throw in several items for free.

Feeling better - still have not tackled units though

I love the scanning idea and might do that with what I have left, but my computer is a lot like the room- full of tooo many copies. I think I have a problem that I'm always looking for a worksheet that is just a little better than the last one. I always end up with a ton of them.
After I finish the room my computer files are next. That's a little easier though - I hope anyway
thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-03-2017, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Good for you
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

TinyScanner
Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have an app on my phone that "scans" using your camera. Easy to use if you really want to keep a copy.

Other than that, I find that asking myself if I would buy or make this today helps. If the answer is no, let it go.

ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote