Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

When your down... what do you do?

>

cabrini6285

When your down... what do you do?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 AM

Long story short... I will be moving positions and I really don't want to. There is a lot more involved in the story.... It has been making me sick and am really depressed about it. I need to "get over it" but I am not sure how. It has put a damper on my summer.... I tried talking to my family, putting my effort into other things... but the thoughts in my head just won't stop and I haven't been sleeping. So what do you do when your down?

cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Talk to your doctor.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:49 AM

You may need some anti-anxiety medication to get you through the move. In the meantime, talk with people who are working in the position you will be working in, and find out what they like about it. They may be able to pump you up. You may end up loving it.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

Honestly...
Old 07-21-2018, 07:26 AM

This sounds bad, but what helps me is looking at people I know who have it much worse.
Example: My DD (19) lives 4 hours away and I haven't seen her in over a month. Not tragic, but I spent this week missing her very badly. Ran into my mom's neighbor at the grocery store. She lost her 17 year old daughter in a car accident several years ago. Talk about a slap in the face with perspective!

That doesn't mean I don't or shouldn't miss my DD. It just means things could be a lot worse and I need to remember that. I know that lady would give anything to simply have her daughter 4 hours away.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I am sorry you are depressed
Old 07-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Have you tried journaling? It can really help. Does not mater what or how you write it can help. Random thoughts that are not complete sentences are fine. Lists are fine. You might even have one journal for grieving the loss of the position you had and another to count your blessings for the simplest things.

If you force yourself to smile sometimes it can change your mood just a little. But every little bit helps.

Exercise on a regular basis really helps. If I exercise to upbeat music it helps more.

Get some sunshine every day. 15 to 20 minutes works for me.

Watch funny movies or read funny books.

Take a class to learn something new.

If you are like me I start eating junk food when I am depressed. Try to keep eating healthy. It really does make you feel better.

Try to get enough sleep. I have difficulty sleeping. However, some people sleep too much. Maybe establish a schedule. Having regular hours helps you to sleep better because your body gets into a rhythm.

I hope I said something that works for you. I am sorry you are having to change positions at work.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-21-2018, 08:43 AM

I don't do well with change, and sleep issues are a big challenge for me. Some things that I've done and will hopefully remember to do:

-eat well and hydrate
-pray, meditate, or just having quiet time every evening before bedtime
-journal or draw to "out" your anxieties
-a spritz of lavender bed linen spray on my pillowcase
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Flowe...lavender+spray

Also....Try reaching out to your new coworkers/teammates/people in your department. Ask them to meet up for coffee, drinks at your house, whatever. If you go into your year having gotten to know these people better, you might find the transition a little less stressful.

bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

Book
Old 07-21-2018, 09:03 AM

Have you read the book The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy by Jon Gordon? Itís a quick read, with less than 200 pages. It offers inspiring words and positive energy. Iím rereading it now to help get myself in a positive mindset for the upcoming school year.

msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Mammabear4

Hot Yoga also know as Bikram Yoga
Old 07-21-2018, 11:35 AM

This is what I have been practicing this summer and it has helped me physically (degenerative disc) and emotional (chronic stress).

It is so rewarding and really difficult, but very worth it. The studio I practice is non-judgmental. Truly it is go at your own pace.
Mammabear4 is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 07-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Praying, journaling, walking either outside or on the treadmill (which is weird because it makes me feel better, but I donít like to do it), yoga or meditation. Another thing that makes me feel better is doing nice stuff for other people. If I canít sleep, I ďshopĒ on Amazon (donít really purchase anything), look at houses for sale online for fun- I like to find crazy ones that are painted with murals or have interesting decor, do math problems in my head- like Iíll see how many times I can double a number, or I get up and read. Sometimes, I wake up at 2 a.m. and do those things and I canít fall asleep so I get up and iron, do laundry, etc. and I know it is time to get walking on the treadmill at 4 a.m. In my head, Iím hopeful that I will be able to to fall asleep earlier the next night.

I will be thinking about you and hoping you get a good nights sleep soon!
owl98 is online now   Reply With Quote

stella.ivey

sad
Old 07-21-2018, 01:49 PM

I understand how you feel. A couple of years before I retired, our principal decided to shake things up and move several teachers to new positions. I was not a happy camper. I loved the team that I worked with, and I didn't want to start all over again with a new team, new curriculum, new classroom.
I moped and was really grumpy about it for a long time. That was really a shame because it all turned out well. I became confident in my new position, came to really like my new team and I learned the new material. Sometimes change is a good thing...if we let it be! Best of luck to you!
stella.ivey is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Feeling better...
Old 07-21-2018, 03:18 PM

Eat well, drink fluids, exercise (a lot), sleep, meditate, yoga, hot bath, massage, read, get away from stressful environment for a few days, no excess such as sugar or food or alcohol.

juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM

Excercise is helpful. Iím not one of these people that enjoys excercise however forcing myself to get walking or go to a workout class or whatever does help bc after I feel better.

Iíd also say breaking out of your routine. A couple weeks ago I was feeling down about a variety of things. DH made it a priority to get me out of the house that wknd doing some things. One night we went to the mall and just walked around- tried out the massage chairs at Brooke stone. We also went out for lunch along the ocean one day and did sunset over the lake near our house another night. It really did help. Even walking around the mall. It got me out of my blah sit at home mood.
KT_203 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-21-2018, 05:37 PM

Do you have a good friend you trust with whom you could discuss this knowing he/she will listen and if you need it, will get good advice? What about someone on staff at your school to whom you are at least fairly close? Maybe even a counselor would be helpful? If the anxiety and depression continue you might also want to speak with your doctor about some medication which you could wean from once you feel better about things at school.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

Thank you
Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and suggestions. I will be trying many of them. I have already tried a few of them prior, but no harm in trying again. I have been really into exercising lately, which is good cause I need it! I tried talking to people I work with but they don't seem to care. I am more upset that I won't be with the kids that I have been with for the past two years. I feel like I am letting them down and that I should have fought to stay or something. Again, thank you and I hope to get some sleep soon!
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote