Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Book of the Month Club

>

ajmom

Book of the Month Club
Old 01-01-2019, 06:49 AM

This keeps popping up on my FB feed. Anyone a member? Thoughts? I'm interested, but want to make sure the books are decent before I sign up. TIA

ajmom is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-01-2019, 07:02 AM

Unfortunately it wouldn’t let me “See the books” without giving my email (and I don’t want their mail). I belonged to a book of the month club for years when I was a young adult. I loved it. Now I read on my Kindle. I do like that they give you a choice of books, but I wouldn’t like the whole send them back thing.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-01-2019, 07:19 AM

I’ve never done it. However, here is a link that shows examples from each month: https://subscriptionboxramblings.com...+of+the+month/

There is also a code on the January 2019 post that will get you a free book if you join.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

ajmom

Old 01-01-2019, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the link Lilbitkm! That was my problem too amiga - I don't necessarily want to give them my email until I'm sure. Maybe the link will help with that.
ajmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Botmc
Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 AM

When I was young and single, I belonged. You would get a monthly catalog along with that months book. You could also substitute a different book.

The hard part was if I forgot to decline an order early enough, I had to return the book via post office.

In those days there was also a record of the month through several different record labels.

Yes, I am a dinosaur.

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

Old 01-01-2019, 07:58 AM

I got a Book of the Month subscription a couple years ago for Christmas and asked for it again this year. DH paid a year in advance and so I received 12 credits for books. I receive an email on the first of the month with 5 books that have a very brief preview. I select the one I want and it is shipped to me. I usually receive it about a week later.

The descriptions of the books are very brief, but enough to give you an idea of if you'd be interested or not. Some months none appeal to me and I just "skip" that month and keep the credit, making my subscription longer than a year. I believe I read all the books I got last time and they held my attention. Wouldn't say any of them are my favorite books ever, but it's a nice little surprise when it arrives and they've been easy reads.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions if anyone wants to PM me. Happy reading in 2019!

edit- DH wants me to add that I finished the one sent to me in December in under 2 days and I'll add that I'm looking forward to the one I selected for January, a memoir called Maid.

Last edited by dawnmei; 01-01-2019 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: more info
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote