Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Babysitting rates?

>

KatieViolet

Babysitting rates?
Old 05-04-2019, 02:17 PM

I know this has been asked before but I'm so out of the loop. We've mostly used family to babysit up til this point so I have no clue! I have two kids (5 and 9) and have a 8th grader who is going to watch them a couple of hours in the afternoons this summer, at our house (but I'll be out). What is the going rate? 20 years ago I made $5/hour and that was good money!! But paying more than minimum wage seems a little extreme to me...right?

I'd ask the girl who is coming, but she's only babysat family before and never been paid. She has no idea either. I don't want to be cheap, but don't want to set too high a precedent, haha!

Give me some numbers, please!

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-04-2019, 02:22 PM

I think it totally depends on your area. Do you have friends you could ask or colleagues who pay babysitters or have kids who babysit?
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-04-2019, 02:46 PM

I agree it depends on where you live.

But I would give no less than $8 an hour
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 05-04-2019, 02:50 PM

6 years ago my DD who was a college freshman in DC made $17 an hour to watch 3rd grade twins for a few hours after school 2-3 days a week. Mother was a lawyer and father was an engineer. She did that gig all through college, which helped a lot!!

I would try to ask people in your area.

Eta: DD was paid from their payroll service so it was considered taxable income, plus she drove their car to bring/ pick up from afterschool activities, made them dinner and helped with homework. She actually still helps out once in a great while to get them to activities when parents can't.

Last edited by twinmom95; 05-05-2019 at 04:36 AM..
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Metro Detroit
Old 05-04-2019, 05:14 PM

No teen around here will babysit non family friend for under $10/hr for one kid.

More than two, $15 to $20/hr and that is only babysitting. No cleaning.

Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

3rdgradequeen

Babysitter
Old 05-04-2019, 08:15 PM

I would still pay $5 an hour for 2 kids! I guess I'm cheap. We live koi in a small midwestern town.

When we go out I pay $6 an hour for a 4 year old and 2- 6 year olds.

They keep coming back...thank god!
3rdgradequeen is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-05-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
But paying more than minimum wage seems a little extreme to me...right?
Iíve been thinking about this. I keep coming back to the fact that youíre hiring someone to care for the 2 of the most important people in your life, right? So thatís a huge job with enormous responsibility. Why isnít minimum wage appropriate?

Iím not being snarky, Iím really wondering.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-05-2019, 07:20 AM

My daughter makes $25/hour for 3 kids ages 8, 5, 3. I have no idea what is "typical." I can only report what the one family she sits for pays her.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

@Kia
Old 05-05-2019, 10:14 AM

What your daughter makes is the going rate for my area for that amount of kid wrangling in my area. That's just baby sitting, not including light housekeeping or anything else.

$5/hr. Wow. I guess getting a teen from church, and offering the work up as a good deed would be doable. I know on my Next Door app someone wanted a teen for 2, 4 and a 6 year old for $5/hr. No one took the poor person seriously. Some offered free services from their church. Others wondered what sort of weirdness was going on in the family.

I'm not a talking about a family friend who has a teen or someone you know from church or karate. Random teen accepting a job. Metro Detroit isn't NYC or San Fran, so I'd be really curious what those teens get.

It's one thing if you are looking for a Mother's Helper, and you are still in the home. I could see 5 to 8 dollars an hour.

Most teens that babysit around here go through the Red Cross program and are CPR infant/child trained. You aren't getting that for below minimum wage.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-05-2019, 11:43 AM

I was a nanny all through college for twins in the Orlando area. I had to drive about 45 minutes each way but loved the family— did it for 5 years, for sometimes 40+ hours a week, starting when they had just turned 2.

That was over 10 years ago and I was paid $12 an hour plus my tolls to get to their house and any meals that I was there for. Now I would expect to pay quite a bit more/be paid quite a bit more.

I did drop off/pickup once they were in school as well. The kids were in different schools due to differing needs so had different school times.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

crayonbox

Old 05-05-2019, 05:49 PM

Our daughter babysits for a 6 & 9 year o!d in the Midwest and is paid $12 per hour. She's out of college and a teacher but this is the same rate they paid her when she was a college student. I agree it depends on your area but I believe $10 for 2 kids would be a minimum.
crayonbox is offline   Reply With Quote